• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

fas376

Jul 28, 2011
Texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Apparently this one hour break is called the "writing section."

Anyway, I'm a fast typer (140 wpm) and good at bullsh.itting, so I haven't spent any time reviewing for this section (and I'm sure most people haven't either).

For those of you that are familiar with it - is there a certain format that is preferred? For example, are we supposed to break it up into paragraphs, are we supposed to have indentions, etc. Thanks for your help!

virtuoso735

7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2011
California
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
You want paragraphs. Double space to indicate a new paragraph. I didn't do much practice or review for this section at all. I just wrote a few practice essays a week before the test. You definitely want to stick to answering the questions in the prompt though.

fas376

Jul 28, 2011
Texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
You want paragraphs. Double space to indicate a new paragraph. I didn't do much practice or review for this section at all. I just wrote a few practice essays a week before the test. You definitely want to stick to answering the questions in the prompt though.

Thanks bud. Any particular format? Ie - first paragraph argue for, then argue against, or anything like that?

folktale

Jun 30, 2010
California
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I usually end up doing 3-4 paragraphs. There are three parts to each prompt. So one paragraph for each one. For all the FLs I did, I usually finish with the scrollbar appearing on the writing box. That's how I gauge if it's long enough.

About the Ads

AOT11

Removed
Apr 13, 2012
Status (Visible)
I usually end up doing 3-4 paragraphs. There are three parts to each prompt. So one paragraph for each one. For all the FLs I did, I usually finish with the scrollbar appearing on the writing box. That's how I gauge if it's long enough.

Three parts? I think you're referring to 1 paragraph for support, 1 paragraph for against, and 1 paragraph talking about what distinguishes them. correct?

honestly i didnt put much effort into the WS. I finished each essay in around 10-15 mins and ended up with a mediocre essay score. I didnt really care much about that anyways. I doubt many med schools look at your mcat and say stuff like OMG YOU ACED THE WS? YOU MUST BE A GENIUS. so I put in barely anything for that section and got a mediocre score. This time my strategy will be the same, except ill put in even less work so I can have a nice break before bio which can be pretty tough on the real deal.

I think if you care about your writing score you should mainly make sure your grammar is good and you dont hae a ton of typos that makes you sound stupid. Im pretty sure those are the main things.

fas376

Jul 28, 2011
Texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
honestly i didnt put much effort into the ws. I finished each essay in around 10-15 mins and ended up with a mediocre essay score. I didnt really care much about that anyways. I doubt many med schools look at your mcat and say stuff like omg you aced the ws? You must be a genius. So i put in barely anything for that section and got a mediocre score. this time my strategy will be the same, except ill put in even less work so i can have a nice break before bio which can be pretty tough on the real deal.

I think if you care about your writing score you should mainly make sure your grammar is good and you dont hae a ton of typos that makes you sound stupid. Im pretty sure those are the main things.

hahahahahahahaha

pfaction

10+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2010
WV
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I've heard people use the VR vs WS excuses to justify each other. Im gonna use the good WS to justify a bad VR....

I'm averageing between Q and S of TPR's standards, so you'll be OK.

typicalindian

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
paragraph 1: define what the prompt means
paragraph 2: support the prompt w/ examples
paragraph 3: give examples that contradict the prompt
paragraph 4: generate a "rule" where you can help the reader decide when the prompt is applicable.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.