Is it true that we get a one hour break during the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fas376

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Apparently this one hour break is called the "writing section."

Anyway, I'm a fast typer (140 wpm) and good at bullsh.itting, so I haven't spent any time reviewing for this section (and I'm sure most people haven't either).

For those of you that are familiar with it - is there a certain format that is preferred? For example, are we supposed to break it up into paragraphs, are we supposed to have indentions, etc. Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

You want paragraphs. Double space to indicate a new paragraph. I didn't do much practice or review for this section at all. I just wrote a few practice essays a week before the test. You definitely want to stick to answering the questions in the prompt though.

You want paragraphs. Double space to indicate a new paragraph. I didn't do much practice or review for this section at all. I just wrote a few practice essays a week before the test. You definitely want to stick to answering the questions in the prompt though.

Thanks bud. Any particular format? Ie - first paragraph argue for, then argue against, or anything like that?

I usually end up doing 3-4 paragraphs. There are three parts to each prompt. So one paragraph for each one. For all the FLs I did, I usually finish with the scrollbar appearing on the writing box. That's how I gauge if it's long enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
I usually end up doing 3-4 paragraphs. There are three parts to each prompt. So one paragraph for each one. For all the FLs I did, I usually finish with the scrollbar appearing on the writing box. That's how I gauge if it's long enough.

Three parts? I think you're referring to 1 paragraph for support, 1 paragraph for against, and 1 paragraph talking about what distinguishes them. correct?

honestly i didnt put much effort into the WS. I finished each essay in around 10-15 mins and ended up with a mediocre essay score. I didnt really care much about that anyways. I doubt many med schools look at your mcat and say stuff like OMG YOU ACED THE WS? YOU MUST BE A GENIUS. so I put in barely anything for that section and got a mediocre score. This time my strategy will be the same, except ill put in even less work so I can have a nice break before bio which can be pretty tough on the real deal.

I think if you care about your writing score you should mainly make sure your grammar is good and you dont hae a ton of typos that makes you sound stupid. Im pretty sure those are the main things.

honestly i didnt put much effort into the ws. I finished each essay in around 10-15 mins and ended up with a mediocre essay score. I didnt really care much about that anyways. I doubt many med schools look at your mcat and say stuff like omg you aced the ws? You must be a genius. So i put in barely anything for that section and got a mediocre score. this time my strategy will be the same, except ill put in even less work so i can have a nice break before bio which can be pretty tough on the real deal.

I think if you care about your writing score you should mainly make sure your grammar is good and you dont hae a ton of typos that makes you sound stupid. Im pretty sure those are the main things.

hahahahahahahaha

I've heard people use the VR vs WS excuses to justify each other. Im gonna use the good WS to justify a bad VR....

I'm averageing between Q and S of TPR's standards, so you'll be OK.

I've heard people use the VR vs WS excuses to justify each other. Im gonna use the good WS to justify a bad VR....

I'm averageing between Q and S of TPR's standards, so you'll be OK.

Right, but what's the format?

paragraph 1: define what the prompt means
paragraph 2: support the prompt w/ examples
paragraph 3: give examples that contradict the prompt
paragraph 4: generate a "rule" where you can help the reader decide when the prompt is applicable.

Kaplan says: 1. ) Interpret the statement 2.) Explain a counter example 3.) Explain how they can be reconciled.