Is it true??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

investing101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading news about a guy who decided to enter medical school a little late into his undergraduate years. Thus he had to take requirements quickly. It mentions that he entered medical school while at the same time having to take a few classes in order to finish undergraduate school.

The question is, being that I too decided late into undergrad school, is it possible to enter medical school while also finishing up a semester's worth of undergrad classes?

"I am entering third year and have yet to take any requirements so it will take me these last two years to finish the requirements for medical school. I will have to take my major's requirements very slow in order to make room for medical school requirements"

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty sure it would be impossible/not allowed in most circumstances. There are always exceptions, but you should not be planning to matriculate while finishing your bachelors.

Do you have a link to the news article?

I've heard of taking some pre-reqs the summer before matriculation (and obviously long after the application / interview / acceptance cycle) but I've never heard of taking undergrad classes after matriculation.

Perhaps the author of the article used the word "entered" rather loosely, like entered=accepted?

Members don't see this ad :)
Most (if not all) schools require at least 90 hours to matriculate; though getting in without a Bachelors is nearly impossible statistically.

Not sure what the writer was referring to w/o a link, but if you want to be a dr then assume now you need to graduate before you start.

Some 7 year programs allow u to earn ur BS after MS1. You don't take any extra classes but your "senior year" of college is equated to MS1 and once u finish MS1 you get ur bachelors.

Some 7 year programs allow u to earn ur BS after MS1. You don't take any extra classes but your "senior year" of college is equated to MS1 and once u finish MS1 you get ur bachelors.

Yea -- the only thing I've heard of where someone is awarded their bachelor's during med school would be one of those integrated/accelerated programs, but I'm pretty sure people usually apply to those right out of high school (which to me is crazy, but that's a different discussion).

AFAIK, it's mostly done for accreditation purposes -- you need to have a certain # of hours or whatever to be awarded a certain degree, so they don't grant you your bachelor's until after you've completed the requisite number of hours. I'm applying for a joint degree in med school and it's the same story -- I'll take all my classes over the course of a year off, but I won't actually be awarded my advanced degree until I graduate from medical school since they're applying some of the credit earned in med school toward my master's.

In summary, there may be a case where this happened, but I think it's exceedingly rare and I would imagine there were extenuating circumstances.

Personally, I think someone would be absolutely insane to take a semester's worth of undergrad classes along with first semester of med school. Med school's hard enough, you don't need to add the stress of an additional 15ish credits to make it worse.