Is it typical or atypical for psych programs to re-interview the same applicant the following cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WTTL

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My app isn't the strongest this year (late scores) and I don't want to blow off any interviews/programs this year when I would have a better chance at being accepted into them next year when I apply earlier. Whats your opinion?

Members don't see this ad.

Almost everyone that we have "re-interviewed" in a subsequent cycle has failed to match--with the caveat that the reason they are re-interviewing is that they didn't match anywhere the first time, obviously--so their applications weren't the greatest.

If they're willing to interview you this year with late scores, you probably stand as good a chance as you would next year.

Reactions: 1 user
I would just go for it. Unless you are at risk for matching somewhere truly terrible, the overwhelming majority of psych residencies seem to be pretty good. There is much less malignancy than other fields that putting your life on hold for a year would rarely be worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My app isn't the strongest this year (late scores) and I don't want to blow off any interviews/programs this year when I would have a better chance at being accepted into them next year when I apply earlier. Whats your opinion?

What do you mean by "late scores"? Surely not Step 1, right? If you mean Step 2, when are you taking them, and when will you have your scores?

Thanks for the input!
I'm a US IMG. I won't have CS back until the end of 2016

Thanks for the input!

Nor did I when I applied a couple of years ago - I got my pass report in December, and it did not hinder getting interviews, although I did have a few programs that reminded me to update my scores ASAP.

You are not late. Late, to me, would be Step 2 results that are unavailable for residency programs to consider when they complete their end of the match, in February. Some programs may not extend invitations if you are missing Step 2 results, but not much you can do about that now. But I would assume that most if not all programs will not rank you without scores in hand come the match, but even that is not a hard and fast rule.

Caveat - unless you are under a different set of rules like the one for foreign applicants, if I understand it correctly, that they have to have all Step scores in place before applying, I assume you are not late.

Thanks for the input!
many/most programs will not interview you without being ECFMG certified/verified (the latter indicated not having completed med school yet) which means having passed all parts of the usmle except step 3. You will get fewer interviews than you would have if you had taken step 2. I would advise you to see if you can get a last minute cancellation and take it asap. You may find you get additional interviews after you receive it back. Yes, for IMGs this is late. You will be considered only after the IMGs who have taken and passed their exams and are already ECFMG certified/verified. No, it won't disadvantage you to apply to a program again, but for the fact that people applying the second time round are less competitive and better make sure they are making good use of that additional year (for example working as a physician, doing a postdoc, MPH [a real one, not some dodgy online one] etc).

Agree with OPD. I would tell you to re-apply. The program will decide whether they want to invite you back for a new interview session. If they do, that means that they thought you were reasonable and would be ok for their program. If they do not, then that means that they think they could make better use of the interview slot by seeing somebody else.