Is it vital to do practice interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hey everyone,

I have some interviews coming up. I am just wondering how important it is to do practice interviews. I am a non-trad and the university closest to me does not offer practice interviews. Were many of you fine spending time just rehearsing your answers a week or so before the interview? Or practicing in front of a mirror? Any advice would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

It's not vital, but can definitely help.

You can ask knowledgeable friends/co-workers/family members to mock interview you and give you honest feedback. You can also film yourself replying to interview questions (that you can find on the Internet) - it's a good way to notice and correct your mannerisms and gain confidence.

Did you do practice exams for the MCAT?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's not vital, but can definitely help.

You can ask knowledgeable friends/co-workers/family members to mock interview you and give you honest feedback. You can also film yourself replying to interview questions (that you can find on the Internet) - it's a good way to notice and correct your mannerisms and gain confidence.

Just what I was going to say!

Good luck to you, OP.

If you suck at interviewing, then you should do practice interviews. It's the best way to get honest feedback.

Practice makes perfect!!!

Hey everyone,

I have some interviews coming up. I am just wondering how important it is to do practice interviews. I am a non-trad and the university closest to me does not offer practice interviews. Were many of you fine spending time just rehearsing your answers a week or so before the interview? Or practicing in front of a mirror? Any advice would be great.

Practicing at least a few times so that you get a good feel for how an interview works is a good idea, but don't overdo it and start to memorize responses to standard questions - no one wants to feel like they're interviewing a robot that's simply repeating what they think medical schools want to hear. Sincerity is key.

practice gives you confidence. asking others gives you perspective.

Nah just show up drunk.

Reactions: 1 user
Please, please practice! It's amazing how awkward even the best answers can sound if it's their first time out of your mouth.

Sounds good. I will probably ask some family and friends to do some practice interviews. Thanks everyone

Hey everyone,

Reading up on each school beforehand is absolutely essential, as is generally getting your answers to some questions together. Are far as full blown practice interviews, I'm not so sure. I did not find interviews varied much from those in the private sector; if you've done some of that you'll be in good shape.

Good tip though: Don't schedule your favorite schools first! Even though you should obviously care about each school, if there is one you really like having actual med school interview experience beforehand the best preparation possible

Reactions: 1 users
Reading up on each school beforehand is absolutely essential, as is generally getting your answers to some questions together. Are far as full blown practice interviews, I'm not so sure. I did not find interviews varied much from those in the private sector; if you've done some of that you'll be in good shape.

Good tip though: Don't schedule your favorite schools first! Even though you should obviously care about each school, if there is one you really like having actual med school interview experience beforehand the best preparation possible

Interesting tip about having experience. Never thought of it that way.

Yes!! practice. You can practice with a friend, mentor, SO. Read the interview feedback on here for the schools you're interviewing at and use it as a guideline in your preparation for the interview.

Yep, if not with somebody, at least talk to yourself and do a few runs through the common questions. It's easy to tangle up a good answer, especially under the pressure of your first interview.