Is it way too late to start a DO app, or would it still be worthwhile?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spamrad

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm applying primarily MD this cycle, but would like to submit a couple of "just in case" DO applications. Is it way too late to do so, or would this still be worth my time? My understanding is that the DO app process is a bit more elongated. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I'm applying primarily MD this cycle, but would like to submit a couple of "just in case" DO applications. Is it way too late to do so, or would this still be worth my time? My understanding is that the DO app process is a bit more elongated. Thoughts?

I heard from a faculty member on here that you can apply as late as Thanksgiving. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't feel like it is too late. I am a current second year DO students and I had classmates apply later than this. Just make sure you can answer "why do you want to be a DO". If it is solely a "back up" and you really don't want to learn osteopathic medicine, I'd advice not applying. However, if you are actually interested in OMM or at least willing to be interested in it, apply. I am 100% glad I chose a DO school (I applied MD and DO). It is nearly a 100% guarantee that your secondary application and interview will ask you about OMM (at least something like why did you chose DO). And please (for the love of God) don't tell your interview or application or students you interact with at a DO school that this is just a backup. If the right (or wrong) person hears that, it could ruin your chances of getting into a DO school. I wish you luck in your endeavors.

I don't feel like it is too late. I am a current second year DO students and I had classmates apply later than this. Just make sure you can answer "why do you want to be a DO". If it is solely a "back up" and you really don't want to learn osteopathic medicine, I'd advice not applying. However, if you are actually interested in OMM or at least willing to be interested in it, apply. I am 100% glad I chose a DO school (I applied MD and DO). It is nearly a 100% guarantee that your secondary application and interview will ask you about OMM (at least something like why did you chose DO). And please (for the love of God) don't tell your interview or application or students you interact with at a DO school that this is just a backup. If the right (or wrong) person hears that, it could ruin your chances of getting into a DO school. I wish you luck in your endeavors.

Great advice, thanks!

There are people who've applied as late as November and still got accepted. You should be fine! From what I've noticed, it seems like the app process and the interviews go on pretty late in DO schools.