Is it weird that my preceptors for IM rotations have all been FM docs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GlowInTheDark

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curriculum is set to have 3 IM blocks. 2 are general and the third can be an IM-subspecialty. So far both of my gen IM have been with FM preceptors in their office, very very limited inpatient.

Tickle anyone else as odd?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes that is not right. Are you at an US MD school?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Curriculum is set to have 3 IM blocks. 2 are general and the third can be an IM-subspecialty. So far both of my gen IM have been with FM preceptors in their office, very very limited inpatient.

IM should be hospital based. As far as the type of doc it probably doesn't matter, I've seen FM docs working as hospitalists but you just aren't going to see too many sick people if you are only working in an office environment.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah that is suboptimal. There can be a role for oupatient IM specialty clinics (pulm etc), but the lion's share should be inpatient and with IM docs.

Reactions: 1 users
My school requires two IM rotations. One ward based and one preceptor based. A good portion of the preceptors are hospitalists, so we get good exposure to inpatient IM.

Sounds like it might be COMP. If you're at the NW campus, maybe they do things different up there but at the Pomona campus the majority of IM1 and IM2 (and many of the IM3) rotations are inpatient only.
Why did you choose a track with outpatient IM if that's not what you wanted to do? I would have preferred at least one outpatient IM1 or IM2 rotation during this year but there were relatively few outpatient IM1 and IM2 rotations available.

Where is your IM3?

Very -- and you'll likely get your head handed to you both on the IM shelf and during your IM months as an intern --I'd do an elective with a hospitalist and then an ICU month myself-- last thing you want is for your first rotation to be intern on call for an IM service your first day of residency --- happened to a classmate ---

Reactions: 3 users
Sounds like it might be COMP. If you're at the NW campus, maybe they do things different up there but at the Pomona campus the majority of IM1 and IM2 (and many of the IM3) rotations are inpatient only.
Why did you choose a track with outpatient IM if that's not what you wanted to do? I would have preferred at least one outpatient IM1 or IM2 rotation during this year but there were relatively few outpatient IM1 and IM2 rotations available.

Where is your IM3?

Not COMP. didn't choose to do outpatient FM...I mean IM. IM3 will either be Cards or Pulm, so they can't pigeon-hole me in FM again at least.

Very -- and you'll likely get your head handed to you both on the IM shelf and during your IM months as an intern --I'd do an elective with a hospitalist and then an ICU month myself-- last thing you want is for your first rotation to be intern on call for an IM service your first day of residency --- happened to a classmate ---

My fear exactly. I have zero interest in IM or any IM sub, but I want/need the experience.

Thanks for the input, I'll consider doing something like to compensate.

Not COMP. didn't choose to do outpatient FM...I mean IM. IM3 will either be Cards or Pulm, so they can't pigeon-hole me in FM again at least.

My fear exactly. I have zero interest in IM or any IM sub, but I want/need the experience.

Thanks for the input, I'll consider doing something like to compensate.

I would pursue it now while you're still in school --- even if you do a transitional year you'll have an IM rotation to do --- while learning to round, look at labs, draw up a/p, etc is really no big deal, the experience that comes from navigating the system is invaluable and expected -- you don't want to look clueless during your intern year and "I didn't do that in school" will not be an acceptable answer, trust me ---

Forgot to mention -- at my residency, they had this insane idea, even with a world class, well known IM residency literally down the hallway, that they were going to run an FM inpatient service. The line they used to pull was that we had to be trained to an IM level (since we didn't get central lines, LPs, thora/paracentesis training, kinda screwed that up) but with an FM perspective -- what that turned out to mean was that we listed hyperlipidemia, GERD, etc. in the problem list even though they were not part of the presenting complaint. Yes -- person's here for COPD exacerbation with sats in the high 80s and we're slamming him with steroids and back to back nebs Q2H but by God, if the problem list doesn't have the hyperlipidemia, onychomycoses, and eczema, it's not complete and thusly you get dinged. If it doesn't have the prophylaxis meds -- PPIs, SCDs, etc. you get dinged --- if the history is not written in a certain order (including a certain order to the social history), you get dinged -- if you say one thing in one part of your note but say it differently in another such that the non-US born attending can't figure it out due to a language/culture barrier, you get dinged. heck, we even had some seniors who would print the interns H&P, progress notes, discharge summaries and critique them with The Big Red Pen a 'la college English professor --- no, I am not kidding -- so now you know why I say that my residency couldn't teach a bunch of Boyscouts what to do inside of a Vegas cathouse....

Watch yourself.

Reactions: 1 user
Can you message me the name of your school so I may thoroughly avoid it?

Tie knots? Make a campfire? Archery?

oh...

Pitch a tent.

Exactly -- you know -- go down to MWR, check out 2 2 man tents and make a really nice 4 man tent out of it with all the comforts of home, replete with the local national saying, "Trust me, G.I." --- they wouldn't know what to do in downtown Balibago along Fields Avenue, much less at the Fire Empire or Holy City Zoo in the old days --- lightweights....