MD Is it worth applying MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tlccreepwaterfalls

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hoping for some insight. NJ Resident. Do I have a shot at all for MD? Would taking the MCAT in September be too late for me?
  1. cGPA: 3.50 and sGPA: 3.24, upward trend
  2. MCAT score: 506 (Chem: 126, CARS: 126, Bio: 126, Psych: 128)
  3. NJ Resident
  4. Shadowing: 300+ hours of shadowing MD surgical oncologist/general, vascular/general surgeon surgeons, 300+ hours shadowing sports med DO
  5. Clinical Work Experience: 3000+ hours clinical work experience
---assisting w/minor surgical procedures with vascular surgeon, scribing
--- scribing, clinical assistant, administrative assistant for surgeon, assistant manager in surgical practice, working with both DO/MDs in neurosurgical practice
6. 500+ hours volunteering
---Cubmaster, pre-med mentorship coordinator, Hurricane volunteering
7. Teaching:
---Private music teacher 200 hours
---Taught course at church
----Chem 101 TA
8. Dean's List 2 semesters, Eagle Scout
9. Performing musician 1200+ hours, Dance clubs member, intramural soccer
10. Worked in medical billing for 6 years HS/Undergrad

Members don't see this ad.

You could receive interviews at some MD schools with your stats including:
Your 3 NJ state public schools
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
George Washington
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Creighton
Your best chances for an interview are the New Jersey schools.

You could receive interviews at some MD schools with your stats including:
Your 3 NJ state public schools
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
George Washington
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Creighton
Your best chances for an interview are the New Jersey schools.

I'll apply there. Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
At this point I was thinking of adding these schools to my application-- is it too late?

Michigan State University College of Human Medicine (MSAR average overall and science GPA for out of state students is around my gpa)
Central Michigan University (MSAR average overall and science GPA for out of state students is around my gpa)

Michigan State interviews less than 100 out of 5,000 non residents. Central Michigan only 4%. The majority of those non residents interviewed are former residents, attended the undergraduate school, are URM, veterans, PhD's etc.

At this point I was thinking of adding these schools to my application-- is it too late?

Michigan State University College of Human Medicine (MSAR average overall and science GPA for out of state students is around my gpa)
Central Michigan University (MSAR average overall and science GPA for out of state students is around my gpa)

I talked to MSU about applying OOS and they said that they don't mind if it's IS or OOS if the applicant strongly fits their mission, which centers around community service to the underserved and rural populations. This is who they II out of the OOS candidates, and the admissions representative suggested anyone to apply if they can showcase this goal in their app.

Hey I have noticed that you have been accepted, can you tell us where and lend some advice?