Medical Is it worth applying to OOS friendly school that has no representation from state of residence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sometimes, for schools are "OOS friendly" (i.e over a third of the class from OOS), I see on MSAR that there is no representation from my home state. Does this mean being from that state automatically decreases my chances? Or is it just how it turned out to be? Should I still to apply to these schools?
There are two extremes here:

Schools that accept OOS and have a mix of students from all over. Even if there aren't any students from your state, apply. Chances are it's just a coincidence that there aren't any students.

The extremes would be Texas/California where 90% of matriculants are in-state. Unless you have an insane application or can't stand not living in Texas/California, I would skip these.

Then lies the in between schools. Some have regional biases. For example, some schools in the midwest accept tons of students from the midwest, but that could also be self-selection.

Members don't see this ad.

Sometimes, for schools are "OOS friendly" (i.e over a third of the class from OOS), I see on MSAR that there is no representation from my home state. Does this mean being from that state automatically decreases my chances? Or is it just how it turned out to be? Should I still to apply to these schools?
That's only for one class. By all means, apply there!

Status
Not open for further replies.