Is it worth applying to Rowan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asdf123g

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I do not live in state and I have competitive stats (not super super competitive stats but competitive none the less)and above average EC's. I heard they accept very few OOS students (<15%) so I am unsure whether to even apply.

thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on your stats. If you have amazing EC's and amazing scores and stats, you are likely to be competitive.

I do not live in state and I have competitive stats (not super super competitive stats but competitive none the less)and above average EC's. I heard they accept very few OOS students (<15%) so I am unsure whether to even apply.

thoughts?
Rowan interviewed less than 3% of out-of-state applicants last year, compared to 16% instate. Possible you'll get interviewed, but very unlikely unless you have a compelling reason and/or considerably above median app quality.

Members don't see this ad :)
R0wan accepted 3 from CA and 3 from FL...the rest were all from Northeast (NJ (90%), NY, Penn, Mass). So if you live far from NJ, I would steer clear if you want to save some $$$. If not..just give it a try!

For what it's worth..these are the heavy IS schools w/ %s

1) MSU = 92%
2) OU = 90 %
3) Rowan = 90%
4) OSU = 89 %
5) TUCOM-CA = 82 %
6 NYIT = 81%
7) Western-U = 81 %

drops to CCOM = 60 % from there

Least heavy IS schools w/ %s

1) ATSU-soma = 10%
2) TUNCOM = 12%
3) KCU = 15%
4) UNECOM = 16%
5) LUCOM = 16%
6) VCOM = 17%
7) DMU = 24%

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
R0wan accepted 3 from CA and 3 from FL...the rest were all from Northeast (NJ (90%), NY, Penn, Mass). So if you live far from NJ, I would steer clear if you want to save some $$$. If not..just give it a try!

Curious where you got that info? There's someone from Indiana and someone from Utah on the Facebook page who got accepted.

Curious where you got that info? There's someone from Indiana and someone from Utah on the Facebook page who got accepted.
MSAR data is always from one cycle prior, his source probably is too

For what it's worth..these are the heavy IS schools w/ %s

1) MSU = 92%
2) OU = 90 %
3) Rowan = 90%
4) OSU = 89 %
5) TUCOM-CA = 82 %
6 NYIT = 81%
7) Western-U = 81 %

1) ATSU-soma = 10%
2) TUNCOM = 12%
3) KCU = 15%
4) UNECOM = 16%
5) LUCOM = 16%
6) VCOM = 17%
7) DMU = 24%
And don't forget TCOM = 90% (state law mandates 90% of class must be Texans)

1) ATSU-soma = 10%
2) TUNCOM = 12%
3) KCU = 15%
4) UNECOM = 16%
5) LUCOM = 16%
6) VCOM = 17%
7) DMU = 24%

woah woah woah..hold up. I coulda sworn UNECOM is extremely IS bias...

woah woah woah..hold up. I coulda sworn UNECOM is extremely IS bias...

He's right, but think about it -- Maine is too small to supply that many seats lol. They have a tight regional bias. ~90% come from Northeastern states.

So regional bias -- yes, but not IS bias.

MSAR data is always from one cycle prior, his source probably is too

Ah, you're probably right.

OP, if you want to go to Rowan, then apply. You'll never know if you have a chance if you don't apply.

He's right, but think about it -- Maine is too small to supply that many seats lol. They have a tight regional bias. ~90% come from Northeastern states.

So regional bias -- yes, but not IS bias.

We could probably talk about regional bias for a lot of schools. For example, PCOM had about 90% of lasts years class from the North East.

We could probably talk about regional bias for a lot of schools. For example, PCOM had about 90% of lasts years class from the North East.

Yeah you're right. And there were probably a lot of students who interviewed that weren't from one specific region, but ended up matriculating at the school closest to their hometown. So those matriculant percentages probably shouldn't be considered so heavily. It's helpful to know, but should be taken for a grain of salt in some cases. The only exceptions are the public state schools + NYIT/TUCOM-CA/Western COMP, those percentages are hard to see past.

Yeah you're right. And there were probably a lot of students who interviewed that weren't from one specific region, but ended up matriculating at the school closest to their hometown. So those matriculant percentages probably shouldn't be considered so heavily. It's helpful to know, but should be taken for a grain of salt in some cases. The only exceptions are the public state schools + NYIT/TUCOM-CA/Western COMP, those percentages are hard to see past.

I really do not know if we should be making exceptions considering we have no idea how many students were interviewed out of state or out of region for any DO schools. It is all conjecture. I heard from a PCOM admissions officers that they rarely consider students from the West Coast, and yet I have read multiple times on SDN that they do not have a regional bias and accept a lot of Cali kids.

Reactions: 1 user

thoughts?
Apply if you want a chance to go there. Don't if you don't. Simple as that.

Some of this is absolutely a bias on the part of student selection, not the school. Even amongst the public schools, to some extent (of course, a much lesser extent) - MSUCOM's OOS tuition probably deters plenty of out of staters from accepting if they have another option. In that list of schools with most IS representation, I was accepted at 2 of the top 7 from out of state (and invited to interview at one that I declined). It happens. I'm not matriculating at either of those schools though, and I'm sure I'm not alone, hence the high representation of in state students.

Reactions: 2 users

This was for 2014 matriculants...so more than likely you saw 2015 acceptances instead! straight from aacom btw!

Some of this is absolutely a bias on the part of student selection, not the school. Even amongst the public schools, to some extent (of course, a much lesser extent) - MSUCOM's OOS tuition probably deters plenty of out of staters from accepting if they have another option. In that list of schools with most IS representation, I was accepted at 2 of the top 7 from out of state (and invited to interview at one that I declined). It happens. I'm not matriculating at either of those schools though, and I'm sure I'm not alone, hence the high representation of in state students.

Exactly. I don't know for sure, of course, but my guess is that the percentage of IS accepted students could be 10% or more lower than the percentage of IS matriculating students for schools with a high OOS/low IS tuition (MSU, Rowan). Also, in the case of OU-HCOM, the 5 year contract will deter OOS students from matriculating as well. You know, maybe while applying they thought "Eh, I'd rather be a doctor in Ohio than not being a doctor anywhere" but once they have multiple acceptances in hand, being contracted to stay in Ohio for 5 years will entice them to go elsewhere. While there is an IS bias at those schools, it's probably not as strong as the matriculating stats would lead you to believe. TCOM (and maybe OSU?) do indeed have a STRONG in state bias, however.

Reactions: 1 user
This was for 2014 matriculants...so more than likely you saw 2015 acceptances instead! straight from aacom btw!

Just a heads up. You said in your first post that certain schools "Accepted" X amount of students. Don't those numbers really pertain to how many students matriculated so we really do not know how many were accepted?

But then wouldn't the implication be that most students simply matriculate to their IS for tuition purposes? I feel more likely..some schools prefer IS students for post-graduate work...and some schools (specifically CA) just have an incredible amount of qualified students. So I guess I would evaluate each school on a case-by-case basis.

most students simply matriculate to their IS for tuition purposes
This is hugely true! I know my instate schools will be my most likely destination barring a fat scholarship elsewhere to bring things to comparable prices