is it worth applying to texas schools if your out of state

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

finalcountdown

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it worth applying to texas schools as an Out of state? looking at the MSAR seems like approx 90% of the class is texas residents

I have mediocre stats , 3.7 gpa, 31 mcat, but lots of EC activities

Members don't see this ad.

You have a better chance at private schools or other state schools that take more OOS students. I wouldn't waste my money at a school I had little chance at, but that's just me.

I was wondering about this too. I would love to go to UTSW or Baylor, and should have good stats, but I feel like I'll be wasting my money.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't think filling out a TMDSAS was worth it.

As you all probably know, all the Texas schools (except Baylor) use the TMDSAS system for their regular admissions. It only cost me a bit over a hundred bucks to apply to a few Texas schools, and would have been about two hundred to apply to all of them. Only about half of them even have secondaries, but the secondaries were free. If I didn't apply to Texas schools, I would have been sad, as that's where I'm headed. :)

And just for the info, I was OOS (obviously), had solid stats (I would say), and some ties to Texas. I have friends who got in with minimal to no ties to Texas, though.

So, if you would like to go there, I think it could be worth it. There aren't a ton of OOS spots, but it was difinately worth it for me... And for about ten percent of each Texas class! Not a ton, but still quite a few people.

As you all probably know, all the Texas schools (except Baylor) use the TMDSAS system for their regular admissions. It only cost me a bit over a hundred bucks to apply to a few Texas schools, and would have been about two hundred to apply to all of them. Only about half of them even have secondaries, but the secondaries were free. If I didn't apply to Texas schools, I would have been sad, as that's where I'm headed. :)

And just for the info, I was OOS (obviously), had solid stats (I would say), and some ties to Texas. I have friends who got in with minimal to no ties to Texas, though.

So, if you would like to go there, I think it could be worth it. There aren't a ton of OOS spots, but it was difinately worth it for me... And for about ten percent of each Texas class! Not a ton, but still quite a few people.

what were your stats? just curious as to how competitive those 10 or so spots are

feel free to pm me if u dont want to post here

what were your stats? just curious as to how competitive those 10 or so spots are

feel free to pm me if u dont want to post here

It's more like 20 spots, for 600 applicants. So, it's really not that bad. All in all, the percentage of total acceptances are pretty low, but given that so few people apply OOS, it's probably as competitive as applying to any other state school that gives solid preference to its own residents.

It's more like 20 spots, for 600 applicants. So, it's really not that bad. All in all, the percentage of total acceptances are pretty low, but given that so few people apply OOS, it's probably as competitive as applying to any other state school that gives solid preference to its own residents.

That's about what it is for the UT schools, but last year for Baylor it was more like for 36 spots for 3414 applicants. Maybe more OOS people applied to Baylor because they thought residence didn't matter (or didn't want to go through TMDSAS).