is it worth applying to those schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SunnyD0119

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it worth applying to schools that dont really take out of state people even tho ugh you may have teh stats to get in.....remember all i want to do is just get in. anywhere. haha

Members don't see this ad.

No, I do not think it is worth spending the extra cash. You have a very slim chance of getting in some state schools if you are out-of-state. Unless you have absolutely stellar stats and a great background, I wouldn't even try it.

kelbal10 said:
No, I do not think it is worth spending the extra cash. You have a very slim chance of getting in some state schools if you are out-of-state. Unless you have absolutely stellar stats and a great background, I wouldn't even try it.
I agree...I'm only applying to one out of state school that doesn't take a lot of non-resident/non-WICHE students and that's just because I really want to go there and I think I have a slim chance given my grades and back ground. Granted I'm not counting on getting admitted there, but I don't think one extra application is going to bankrupt me.

SunnyD0119 said:
is it worth applying to schools that dont really take out of state people even tho ugh you may have teh stats to get in.....remember all i want to do is just get in. anywhere. haha

I agree with those posted so far although, don't just assume that an out of state school doesn't just take out of staters. Call them and ask them. They are usually really honest about this. I applied to all 3 TX schools and didn't even get an invite and I got 7 invites for interviews elsewhere (some that don't take out of staters), but again TX takes VERY FEW out of staters. I knew it was a risk.

My advice is cast a wide net, but be reasonable about it. Put more weight on those schools more likely to let you in.