Is it worth applying with a 21 on the MCAT?!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pursuing MD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I apply to U.S. medical schools with a 21 on the MCAT? I scored it twice: 4 V, 7B, 10 P the first time; and 6V, 7B 8P the other time...a 21 both times.

I've done research and have (and am currently doing) volunteer work. My major is Political Science, minor Natural Science; Cumulative GPA is 3.6 ... (help!)

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have anything that makes you stand out in any way? If not, I would either retake the MCAT (would retake even if I had something that made me stand out) or apply to a few MD schools and the rest DO schools if you're interested in becoming a DO.

One more thing... how hard did you study for the MCAT? Do you think you can raise your score? Did you take practice exams and were you scoring better on those?

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with lola. You have to retake if you want to be competitive. Your GPA looks pretty good so focus everything on doing well on the MCAT.

I agree with Wahoo and lola too. Definitely retake it. Also, I don't think you should apply at all with that score. Your best chance at getting in is on your first try, so try and make the most of it.

I vote study hard and retake.

Your GPA is good, MCAT needs improvement, and I agree with the rest of the post. Usually if you don't have a good MCAT, you need at least to shine in these areas: GPA, EC, RESEARCH, VOLUNTEERING. Your personal statement is really important too. Good luck.

In addition, I would apply when I know that I have a good shot. So for that matter, I would improve my MCAT score and you never know, you might have a really good shot at your favorite school. You have nothing to lose in applying again.

How did you study for the MCAT the first time? If you studied many hours, you need to change the way you study. If you didn't do enough passages, do more.

Did you take a prep course? If so, try a different one, because the one you took didn't work for you. If not, maybe give one a try.