MD Is it worth applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ARKR

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've posted here before but I want to ask a slightly different question than I have in the past.
So here are my circumstances. 3.95 GPA, 3.95 sGPA, 39 MCAT (12/12/15)

5 LOR, Comittee letter from those LOR. I have lots of teaching experience in terms of volunteer tutoring (150 hours), paid tutoring(300 hours), and TAing(100 hours) (total =550hours). I founded/run a sports club and compete in intercollegiate competitions there. I've shadowed for 110 hours. I have other small achievements that I may or may not list, still deciding, but nothing that should be a major factor.

By the time I apply I will have roughly 150 hours of research, and roughly 40 hours of clinical volunteering. I will be doing both of those things throughout my gap year. By the time I interview(if I do so) I would have much more of both of these.

So my question is, given that I am weak in my clinical experience, is it worth the stigma of being a re applicant to give it a shot? How much is reapplying a bad thing?

Thanks for your advice

Members don't see this ad.

I don't view reapplying as a bad thing as long as you've genuinely improved your application. Reapplying with the same application is a no-no in my opinion.

I think you need more clinical volunteer/non-shadowing experience, but you have a solid amount of shadowing experience. Mind if I ask why you are a reapplicant? Your stats are great so what happened last cycle that you improved on?

Ah sorry perhaps I was unclear. I haven't applied yet, and am worried about being rejected, and then having to be a re applicant in the future. If I was a re applicant next year I would obviously do so, but with much more clinical volunteering(over 250 hours) and a full year of research under my belt (over 1000 hours). I would rather not wait, but if being a reapplicant is a really big risk I would wait....

I don't view reapplying as a bad thing as long as you've genuinely improved your application. Reapplying with the same application is a no-no in my opinion.

I think you need more clinical volunteer/non-shadowing experience, but you have a solid amount of shadowing experience. Mind if I ask why you are a reapplicant? Your stats are great so what happened last cycle that you improved on?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have enough clinical experience to convince us that you know what you are getting into, you will be fine. I'm not seeing it here but perhaps it exists. A reapplication with stats as good as yours should be avoided at all cost.

If you have enough clinical experience to convince us that you know what you are getting into, you will be fine. I'm not seeing it here but perhaps it exists. A reapplication with stats as good as yours should be avoided at all cost.

Can I ask why that is?

I was going to post my own thread but OP's stats and ECs nearly match mine exactly (same GPA/MCAT and hours/types of activities). I might as well post here and save space, so forgive me for thread hijacking.

The only differences are that I have more clinical volunteering (~170 hours, will continue during gap year) + research (~400 hours), and I don't do sports. Should I go ahead and submit this cycle given that I've secured my LORs/transcript and begun work on AMCAS? Will a lack of leadership and other ECs hurt a great deal?

100% agree. Get in the clinical hours and this time, you can aim high.

]I don't view reapplying as a bad thing as long as you've genuinely improved your application. Reapplying with the same application is a no-no in my opinion.

I think you need more clinical volunteer/non-shadowing experience, but you have a solid amount of shadowing experience. Mind if I ask why you are a reapplicant? Your stats are great so what happened last cycle that you improved on?[/QUOTE]