Is it worth applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mps1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am currently contemplating applying to canadian medical schools. I have not written my MCAT yet and i am wondering if it is worth it to write it and apply. I graduated with an undergrad in pharmacy from u of a with a 3.3 overall for my entire 5 years, but a 3.7 my best 2 years. I have good letters of reference and have some good volunteer experience, but with an overall gpa of 3.3 i am wondering if i am just wasting my time studying for the MCAT. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I am currently contemplating applying to canadian medical schools. I have not written my MCAT yet and i am wondering if it is worth it to write it and apply. I graduated with an undergrad in pharmacy from u of a with a 3.3 overall for my entire 5 years, but a 3.7 my best 2 years. I have good letters of reference and have some good volunteer experience, but with an overall gpa of 3.3 i am wondering if i am just wasting my time studying for the MCAT. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Umm.. from what i understand canadian schools are hyper competitive. At the sametime your a international student so you'll need amazing scores to go to a US med school. I'm left thinking that your in a hard place. I think that you'll need a 36ish+ on the mcat to get in somewhere.
Um.. Yah... If you can get your overall gpa to like a 3.5 that'd be perfect and would only need a 34 mcat or so.
Yah...:(

So your saying don't even bother? I was looking at U of C admissions and there were a few people with around 3.3 cgpa.

No.
Of course apply.
But your chances are low enough for me to say dont bother.
But it is never 0%.

Sorry, UofC? Calgary?

Yes , University of Calgary. I was hoping the fact that i am currently in health care and am interested in practicing in a rural setting would help out my cause. Thanks for your input though, i will definately post my experiences, and hopefully in a year or so i will have some good news.