is it worth driving 50 miles for pharm clerk?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lesept2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently passed the PTCE exam, so I am technically a certified pharmacy technician, however it might take about 5 months to be licensed by my state of California. Meanwhile, I heard that I could start off as a pharmacy clerk which is hard to find openings now. I found one 50 miles away, and it would only be for 5-6 months. I just want the experience and cash always helps so that when I get my license I will have experience. I self-studied for the PTCE.

Members don't see this ad.

I recently passed the PTCE exam, so I am technically a certified pharmacy technician, however it might take about 5 months to be licensed by my state of California. Meanwhile, I heard that I could start off as a pharmacy clerk which is hard to find openings now. I found one 50 miles away, and it would only be for 5-6 months. I just want the experience and cash always helps so that when I get my license I will have experience. I self-studied for the PTCE.

Jump on that for sure. It's short term, and like you said it's tough to land positions in California period and even more so without experience. Having that experience should make it easier for you to land a tech job somewhere.

50 miles... depends where the 50 miles are and what time of day you're driving.

could take you 45mins, could take you 2hrs.

if you don't intend on living off your paycheck, then go for it and i hope you drive something like a honda civic.

Members don't see this ad :)
So you're planning on driving 50 miles to work and back home? 100 mi * 120 days (4 months) = 12,000 mileage into your vehicle. I hope you drive a civic as well. Woah.

So you're planning on driving 50 miles to work and back home? 100 mi * 120 days (4 months) = 12,000 mileage into your vehicle. I hope you drive a civic as well. Woah.

more like 80 days, i hope he's not working 7 days a week!

so more like 8,000 miles

Any type of experience will help you later on in finding a pharm tech job after you get your license.

Tech jobs are tough to find in California. When I look at tech applicants, experience is a big factor to me especially since my pharmacy is very busy and I don't have the luxury of being able to train someone with little or no pharmacy experience. If traveling is not going to be an issue time wise (traffic) or vehicle wise (your car) then I would suggest getting the experience.

It does take a while for the BOP to give licenses. But if you do not hear from the BOP of pharmacy within 3 months of them cashing your check then you can contact them. We had a tech who transferred from out of state to California do that and her license was issued a few days after she called.

ABSOLUTELY!! I went to UC Irvine and worked in Beverly Hills (Rite Aid). Almost exactly 50 miles just like yourself. When I went to my interviews I emphasized this and I could really tell that they were impressed. I told them the economy is really bad and its really hard to find a pharmacy position, and pharmacy experience in very important for admission, and I had to do what I had to do. And I noticed my interviewer was surprised and impressed with it. And now in 3 weeks away from starting UOP!! Jump on it man. don't pass this up. Goodluck!

I would say go for it. I drove about 35 miles for a pharm tech job back and forth for 9 months. If you want it bad enough, do it because you will kick yourself later wondering why you didn't do it.

ABSOLUTELY!! I went to UC Irvine and worked in Beverly Hills (Rite Aid). Almost exactly 50 miles just like yourself. When I went to my interviews I emphasized this and I could really tell that they were impressed. I told them the economy is really bad and its really hard to find a pharmacy position, and pharmacy experience in very important for admission, and I had to do what I had to do. And I noticed my interviewer was surprised and impressed with it. And now in 3 weeks away from starting UOP!! Jump on it man. don't pass this up. Goodluck!

at least that's anti-commute leaving OC...until you hit the county line. I hope you had like a noon-8pm shift or something

Get some kind of short term accommodation that will cut down on the commuting.