Is it worth going for ortho with a location stipulation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jsmith9219

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
DO student, class of 2020, top 10 in class, Step 1 >260, Level 1 >750, 2 non ortho papers, 3 non ortho presentations (all gen surg if it matters). Love the OR, can't see myself being anywhere else in the hospital. Don't have much direct ortho experience, but I'm wondering if its even worth seeking it out (IE using my 3rd year elective on it) given my situation.

Fiancee (to be wife by the time residency rolls around) has an incredible job that comes with a contract, which she is obliged to follow until 2023 (IE I will be free to pursue fellowship anywhere, but not necessarily residency). We've done long distance for long enough, and I don't want to be in Ohio for 3 years working 100 hours a week and come home to an empty apartment and a skype date.

Fortunately we live in NY and there are 18 ortho spots in DO/historically DO programs by my math in the greater NYC/NJ/LI area. Would it be foolish to even pursue ortho with just those 5 applications (I would probably do aways at all of them 4th year), or would I be better off setting up my application for ACGME gen surg, which I think I could get in this area.

I know that the AOA/ACGME application will be unified in 2020, but I really doubt the NYC ACGME ortho programs are going to look at my application, I'll apply for sure, but I'm not gonna hold out much hope for HSS :laugh:.

I think you should decide which specialty you prefer. If you decide you truly want ortho then start visiting those programs now and making those connections. Then set up your auditions for fourth year and give it everything you have. Your stats are killer and similar to what mine were going through the match this past year. You will have no problem matching as long as you're a normal person who people can get along with and a hard worker. Definitely look into Plainview and Jersey City. Nassau will throw you an interview without an audition just based on your score

So maybe get in contact with Plainview and Jersey City now, try to get on a project with a resident and get to know the others by showing up at academics. Set up auditions with those two during fourth year and maybe set up a couple gen surg local to you. Like I said your stats will set you apart and after that it's a matter of who you are as a person.

Feel free to reach out with more questions about this process, good luck

Just based off my experience applying last cycle with similar scores and non-ortho research, you’ll need to drastically up your ortho research and get LOR’s from MD institutions to stand a chance at historically MD places.

Kind of a double edged sword since DO programs value the away rotation, boards and grades over research, pedigree and letters from big wigs. To make the academic MD letters happen you’d have to use a prime rotation month to rotate at a place that may never accept a DO no matter what.

Overall, with your scores, some good research, and rotations at historically DO programs around NY, you stand a good chance if you aren't really weird. I would still apply to all the old DO programs so you can have a few extra programs at the bottom of your rank list if you're serious about ortho.