Is it worth going to a Canadian school for undergrad, and applying to med school in the US after?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wyman525

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Canadian citizen and a permanent resident in Oregon, but I would like to apply to medical school in the United States. I am currently attending a Canadian University. My goal is attending OHSU.

Members don't see this ad.

Become a US citizen first and there will be no difference when you apply to med schools.

Edit: just saw you're already at a Cnd uni. Well you'll still be considered international if you don't have your green card/citizenship in the US. Would OHSU be considered your state school?

Become a US citizen first and there will be no difference when you apply to med schools.

Edit: just saw you're already at a Cnd uni. Well you'll still be considered international if you don't have your green card/citizenship in the US. Would OHSU be considered your state school?
I have my green card. I am about to finish my first semester... one more final to go December 22nd >_>

Members don't see this ad :)
I have my green card. I am about to finish my first semester... one more final to go December 22nd >_>
Okee, won't make any difference for you then. Although you might not have a premed committee at your school and shadowing is very difficult for legal reasons. But develop a strong app and apply away :)

Okee, won't make any difference for you then. Although you might not have a premed committee at your school and shadowing is very difficult for legal reasons. But develop a strong app and apply away :)
Why would shadowing be very difficult for legal reasons?

Why would shadowing be very difficult for legal reasons?
PHIPA. Docs usually don't say yes to non-med students because they have to protect patient privacy. Anyone i know who shadowed here was able to through favors.

Shadowing in Canada is very limited and most provincial governing bodies very strongly tell physicians they are not to allow it unless it's a medical student.

Yep, hard pressed to find shadowing in Canada unless you're family friends with a rural GP who's willing to let you sit in his office for a half day.

I wish more adcoms were cognizant of it, meh.

Reactions: 1 user