Is it worth it? I need help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A-poor-student

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current MS1 at a US MD school that uses NBME examen for all their blocks. and is letter-graded
I am extremely struggling and getting mostly low C and failed the physiology part of my last exam.

I need help, I am starting to get depressed. I am studying all the time and still, when I start doing practice questions I always get it wrong. I struggle to connect the concepts.
I do Anking, Bnb, Costanzo, and other physiology videos. But still failing the exams. In histology is the same I read the book still get most questions wrong.
I really need help, banking isn't enough. t I feel I learn all the cards but can't connect the concepts. How do you connect the concepts, I ask for help at my school and tried the method they didn't work, my school advisor teell me to watch the classes when the classes are all PhD minutae and the examen are NBME. All upperclassmen tell me Bnb and costanzo and read histo book be enough. but I am still failing. Will I even match? or should I drop out?

If I continue this I will get less than a 2.5 GPA. I got most C and two maybe three low B that are at risk of being C. I need more than 2.5 or I need to remediate the year.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay relax, don't let this beat you down. I can't really help with tangible steps since I don't know your specific academic weaknesses (especially since you've tried a lot of things it seems) but here's one inspiration: One guy from my school failed and had to retake his M1 year. Now he's in a top 5 in a competitive surgical specialty (no joke, even with that red flag). He got it together, slowly worked his butt off, and his passion and drive shone through. Some people just take time to mature to their best selves. Don't panic.

It's a snowball effect, if you give in to panic, it'll breed more panic. Conversely, if you work hard and achieve success, no matter how small (even as small as not staying in your bed for 30 more mins in the morning wallowing in your anxiety), that will inspire and encourage you to keep going and strive for more success.

Reactions: 2 users
I am a current MS1 at a US MD school that uses NBME examen for all their blocks. and is letter-graded
I am extremely struggling and getting mostly low C and failed the physiology part of my last exam.

I need help, I am starting to get depressed. I am studying all the time and still, when I start doing practice questions I always get it wrong. I struggle to connect the concepts.
I do Anking, Bnb, Costanzo, and other physiology videos. But still failing the exams. In histology is the same I read the book still get most questions wrong.
I really need help, banking isn't enough. t I feel I learn all the cards but can't connect the concepts. How do you connect the concepts, I ask for help at my school and tried the method they didn't work, my school advisor teell me to watch the classes when the classes are all PhD minutae and the examen are NBME. All upperclassmen tell me Bnb and costanzo and read histo book be enough. but I am still failing. Will I even match? or should I drop out?

If I continue this I will get less than a 2.5 GPA. I got most C and two maybe three low B that are at risk of being C. I need more than 2.5 or I need to remediate the year.

You don't really provide much detail about what exactly is going on but I'll venture a guess that you're spreading yourself too thin as the previous poster implied. Start with one resource on top of your school lectures. I recommend a question bank. Don't do it by yourself, but in a group. Set up a time per day and commit to it (ex. 30q at 6pm daily with Sarah). You retain more that way and it goes by faster. A lot of people try to throw all these commercial resources out there as solutions when someone is struggling. If you've tried a bunch and are still struggling, there's less of a chance that you haven't found the right resource. Just go to class and listen, take a break afterwards, and then come home and review the materials and do some questions. Settle into that routine. You made it this far, you should succeed.

Remediating the year is not the end of the world. Frankly reading your current situation gave me anxiety. At least with a remediated year you can slow down and focus on learning things for long term retention while staying healthy which will pay off in the long term. True it will be a red-flag on your resume, but as the previous poster's mentioned, you can overcome that.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You don't really provide much detail about what exactly is going on but I'll venture a guess that you're spreading yourself too thin as the previous poster implied. Start with one resource on top of your school lectures. I recommend a question bank. Don't do it by yourself, but in a group. Set up a time per day and commit to it (ex. 30q at 6pm daily with Sarah). You retain more that way and it goes by faster. A lot of people try to throw all these commercial resources out there as solutions when someone is struggling. If you've tried a bunch and are still struggling, there's less of a chance that you haven't found the right resource. Just go to class and listen, take a break afterwards, and then come home and review the materials and do some questions. Settle into that routine. You made it this far, you should succeed.

Remediating the year is not the end of the world. Frankly reading your current situation gave me anxiety. At least with a remediated year you can slow down and focus on learning things for long term retention while staying healthy which will pay off in the long term. True it will be a red-flag on your resume, but as the previous poster's mentioned, you can overcome that.
Thank you for the advice. I don't go to school lectures because they are pretty bad, and no one uses them for studying. Especially because the exam is from an NBME question bank. I will try to give it my all try at least past this first year. Because I already got this far. And I am not failing the class I know I will pass all of my classes. Because I am getting all low Cs but the 2.5 GPA requirement is the thing I am scared I wouldn't meet.

Maybe more question banks will help I will let you all know. Thank you for those who have answer. And any other suggestion is greatly appreciated

Thank you for the advice. I don't go to school lectures because they are pretty bad, and no one uses them for studying. Especially because the exam is from an NBME question bank. I will try to give it my all try at least past this first year. Because I already got this far. And I am not failing the class I know I will pass all of my classes. Because I am getting all low Cs but the 2.5 GPA requirement is the thing I am scared I wouldn't meet.

Maybe more question banks will help I will let you all know. Thank you for those who have answer. And any other suggestion is greatly appreciated

I recommend you use the original question bank you had and stick to it. Board review sources like Costanzo/BnB while more comprehensive than First Aid do NOT teach you medicine, but simply provide outlines for high yield topics tested on the boards. Your school should be the one teaching you and if you're struggling I'm going to double down and say you should be attending lectures. There are still questions today that show up on board certification exams and USMLE Step 3 that I get from a detail I recalled from class, not UWorld, First Aid, Pathoma, Sketchy, BnB, etc. All the course directors have outlines to NBME and know what the high yield topics are. They aren't going out on a limb and teaching solely based on their research. Regardless I wish you the best of luck. When you find the method that fits for you, you'll succeed.

Reactions: 2 users
I recommend you use the original question bank you had and stick to it. Board review sources like Costanzo/BnB while more comprehensive than First Aid do NOT teach you medicine, but simply provide outlines for high yield topics tested on the boards. Your school should be the one teaching you and if you're struggling I'm going to double down and say you should be attending lectures. There are still questions today that show up on board certification exams and USMLE Step 3 that I get from a detail I recalled from class, not UWorld, First Aid, Pathoma, Sketchy, BnB, etc. All the course directors have outlines to NBME and know what the high yield topics are. They aren't going out on a limb and teaching solely based on their research. Regardless I wish you the best of luck. When you find the method that fits for you, you'll succeed.
Thank you a lot. I really appreciate it. I will continue working hard because I really want to be a physician. I have been reading a little bit and I want to go into IM. From what I read it still possible even if I am below average.

Thank you a lot. I really appreciate it. I will continue working hard because I really want to be a physician. I have been reading a little bit and I want to go into IM. From what I read it still possible even if I am below average.

If you want to become a Cardiologist/Gastroenterologist, all your goals are still ahead of you.

Reactions: 1 user

Very sorry to hear of this.

For starters, go talk to your schoo's learning or education center people.

Then talk to your counseling center, a trusted advisor, or your doctor. This is NOT giving medical advice.

Read this:

Reactions: 1 user
Relax. It sucks you're struggling.

It sounds like you're trying too many resources. Do lectures and pick one thing to stick with it so you cover all you need to. Sometimes you just need to pick one and stick with it. You can try Costanzo, bnb, FA, and sketchy all you want... but if you're doing this to learn about the loop of henle five different ways you're going to miss out on the glomerulus. Do you see what I'm saying? If you keep jumping around from thing to thing you're going to miss coverage of a topic.

If you're using NBMEs has your school given you UWorld to practice on?

I've never heard of reading a histology book...

I’ll second what others have said about focusing On lectures and maybe supplementing with BnB or first aid. You say you’ve doing anking and that you remember the facts but can’t connect them. This really sounds like a problem that can be significantly helped with practice questions. Especially since you have NBME exams, practice questions will really help you I think. Keep in mind when you do questions don’t worry about how many you’re getting right. It’s not about trying to have the highest percentage on them. Use the questions as a learning resource to see how questions are being asked and to help you connect all of the different facts you have learned. I’d recommend a basic question bank like USMLE-Rx to start off with and then if you need more questions you could try something like Amboss. I would use the USMLE Rx as you go through topics. So like if you cover heart failure the next day do the questions on heart failure from USMLE Rx. Then in the days before your exam you’ll have done all the relevant USMLE-RX questions and can then focus on Amboss questions to test yourself and also to just keep learning as these questions are sometimes more challenging. I really think practice questions will be one of the most important things for you to connect everything and kill your exams. Also, super important (probably the most) is to reach out to your counseling center if you’re struggling with your mental health. There’s no way you’ll do well in school if you don’t take address this head on. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Have you reviewed your exams? Do you understand why your answers are incorrect, and what the correct answers should be?
It might help to study with another student and quiz each other. It looks like English isn’t your first language, so you may be getting tripped up by the phrasing of the questions, rather than the content. Practicing questions with a friend may help you to see where you are going off-track.

Thank you all for the advice.

Have you reviewed your exams? Do you understand why your answers are incorrect, and what the correct answers should be?
It might help to study with another student and quiz each other. It looks like English isn’t your first language, so you may be getting tripped up by the phrasing of the questions, rather than the content. Practicing questions with a friend may help you to see where you are going off-track.
Sadly, the school doesn't allow us to review the exams because they get the question from an NBME question bank.

Maybe, I am aware that sometimes due to my English I get confuse in the wording. I am really trying to improve in that aspect but I started to learn to read and write English correctly in college and now I don't really have time to work on that.

Again I really appreciate your taking of your time to help a future colleague