Is it worth it to do medicaid/public dentistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

say_awwww

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a question regarding working in a medicaid clinic, or a public clinic. Has anyone worked in a Medicaid clinic? If so, what kind of procedures do you do, and do you develop fast hand skills like they say?

Also, I know this may be rude, but what kind of pay can you expect from an associate position is such a clinic? I have been told that 120 K is average, but I heard this from a classmate who may be full of crap.

Thanks

UNC 2007

Members don't see this ad.

there's a clinic in raliegh north carolina. it's been told that you get paid well there, how much? i have no idea. Does anybody know? What kind of work would you do?

120K? That's a bit too high for public health. Try $80K~$110K (depend on states). But keep in mind public health ususally carry very very good benefit.

You do LOTS of extraction. Not so much crown/FPD or composite (depend on state)......you end up fixing EVERYTHING with amalgon or pull it. Oh, and CD, too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since Medicaid is a state run program the answer will be different for each state. In general Medicaid pays at a lower rate, many times significantly lower, and only covers basic procedures.

I know several classmates who have worked at a Medicaid clinic in Raleigh. They were paid initially $450/day or about $90,000/year. One friend was asked to stay on after 1.5 years and "run" the place. He was guaranteed $150K but said he could not hold down one more little kid for 6 pulpotomy/SSC combos. Most of these places push production IMHO at the expense of the patient. Not that the kids don't need the dentistry but everything the child needs is going to be done in one sitting.

In SC I take Medicaid patients. It is better run than most states I think. Our SCDA pushed to get fees at the 75th percentile, reduce the paperwork, and cover the majority of procedures for those under 21. One of the places I associated right out of school actually charged less than Medicaid paid.

YMMV

Rob

do most guys get out of medicaid and open their own practices immediately? can they do crowns and endo?

Typically what happens is that soon after you graduate you're feeling very altruistic and will see many medicaid payients as either your practice is building or because you're an associate and your senior dentist sends them your way :mad:

What you'll often find, is an assortment of the following:

1) The medicaid patient typically needs way more serious care (i.e. endo's, exo's pulpotomies, stainless steel crowns, dentures, etc) and inspite ofd your best diet/hygiene education efforts, will continue to have these poor habits that got them in "dental trouble" in the first place :(

2) The medicaid patient typically has a higher failure rate than the "regular: patient :confused:

3) Medicaid billing typically requires way more time and effort than "standard" insurance billing for what often amounts to 1/2 to 1/3 of the fees that "regular" insurance pays. Plus, medicaid may not even reimburse you for all the procedures that you do/would like to do to restore that patients mouth :eek: :confused: :mad:

Many Docs will after a couple of years stop seeing essentially all their medicaid patients because their schedules are full of full fee, less hassle patients. Then what often happens is that you'll end up treating a select few medicaid patients for free, so that you don't have to deal with the hassles of medicaid, and more importantly, you can treat them properly, the way you want too.

As pessimistic as this sounds, the medicaid system as a whole is so broken right now is that what it really needs is for it to self implode and then be rebuilt from the ground up. If you had medicaid either reimbursing consistantly on atleast a 66% level, or had partial student loan forgiveness based on amount of medicaid treatment you delivered in the previous year, or had free state licensure based on medicaid treatment delivered the previous year, you'd accomplish a heck of alot more treatment of the medicaid population than alot of the "garbage ideas" that many legislators currently have :eek: (Rant is done noe!)