Sep 17, 2013
Status
SN2 says to do "every 1/3 EK 1001" passages for each subject. Does it help at all? I'd rather do TPR passages, which seem more like the MCAT.

Gauss44

5+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
SN2 says to do "every 1/3 EK 1001" passages for each subject. Does it help at all? I'd rather do TPR passages, which seem more like the MCAT.
IMO, no. My experience was that EK 10001 books were only helpful when trying to determine how well I knew I subject.

If I knew a subject well, 10001 books amounted to busy work.

If I didn't know a subject well, I found that either reading a more detailed book or watching videos was more helpful because I could learn from them.

csdanim

5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2013
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I used it in the beginning, but I stopped using it. It was either too easy or too difficult lol. I would spend more time analyzing TBR psgs

Oct 22, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Yup, I started it but I stopped. The only subject I would say it's useful is Physics imo. I was using it for G.Chem and it was too easy or had obscure questions that I felt like I didn't need to know.

Pose

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2004
Status
Medical Student
I started but stopped also. The orgo was way too easy. The physics and general chemistry were a special kind of difficult, where it seemed like everything was conditional on some special case. Could also be that I had big knowledge gaps, though.

Silent Cool

Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2005
Status
Definitely do EK 1001 Bio. The other books are good for reinforcement but not necessarily staples.

1TB4RKSB4CK

wussup doge
5+ Year Member
May 6, 2010
Miami
Status
Pre-Medical
^ Agree. The useful ones are EK Physics and Bio. EK bio is good for knowledge drilling, doesn't take long either, you can finish a passage in less the 5 minutes since they are so short.

Next Step Tutor

MCAT Guru
Sponsor
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2013
Tucson, AZ
nextsteptestprep.com
Status
Pre-Medical
Folks above have largely covered this already, but I'll add my $0.02:

Big chunks of discrete questions aren't "real" MCAT practice in that the MCAT is going to reward you for good passage-analysis skills. To that end, you should think of discrete question practice more just as a science review - a good foundation but nothing more (just the crust of the pizza, if you will).

I won't say that they're completely useless, as others seem to be suggesting, but that you should really only do them if your science content is really weak in a given subject.

Roxas

Giggity!
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2012
Twilight Town
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I didn't like the EK 1001 for some of the reasons listed above. imo the TPR Science Workbook is a much better investment and use of your time.

Czarcasm

Hakuna matata, no worries.
5+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2013
Crypts of Lieberkühn
Status
I strongly disagree that EK Physics 1001 was at all useful. I did 80% of their questions for my first take and it took excessively long but that's not my issue. There was a number of unrealistically hard problems. I felt it left me more confused and less confident about my own ability to perform well and excel with the material. There was a TON of errata issues and I found myself dishing out $15 bucks to get the correct answers from their website before they publicly made them available. On the plus side, the guy on there who posts does a phenominal job at explaining solutions. Regardless though, it doesn't change the fact that its an incredibly useless imo and you would be much much better suited to do TPRH Sciencework book for additional practice material (along with TBR). Both of those sources are more realistic and you actually learn more doing those problems than you would doing 80% of the discretes in EK 1001.

Person0715

Socially awkward
May 12, 2011
Gotō Islands
Status
I agree with what others have said. I us edit hem for the first phase of the S2Ned schedule, but then stopped after I started doing FLs. I didn't find them to be that helpful. I substituted them for TPR science workbook, which I thought was much much much better for practice.