Is it worth it to live at home?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

james1988

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Next year I have the option of living at home or living in an off-campus housing apartment at my undergraduate institution. Living at home would save me about $9,000. Is it worth it? Does anyone here live at home?

Members don't see this ad.

Next year I have the option of living at home or living in an off-campus housing apartment at my undergraduate institution. Living at home would save me about $9,000. Is it worth it? Does anyone here live at home?

If you and your parents get along, do it. It's tough paying for bills at your own place. It's nice to only have to focus on school.

I lived at home this year. I would have to say it depends. Technically I lived at home for 2 years and commuted. My first school I took public transportation and participated at school and had the time of my life. If I had to study for an exam and spent the whole night studying I could sleep on the 4 train on my way to school. Then my family moved to florida and I had to follow because rent in NYC is no joke. Now my school is an hour away if I take the I-75. At first it was nothing but with rising gas prices I ended up spending 120 a week on gas alone just to get to school. Also I didn't have as much of a social life because I just went to school and came home. This ended up being a really miserable school year that ended with me giving my mom an ultimatum. Either she lets me move out and live at an off-campus housing ( I had to ask because I needed a guarantor or no one would even talk to me) or I drop out of school take a LPN course for a year and move out on my own. She ended up saying that she realized I was a lot more depressed at home so if I wanted to go I could. Also living at home with 7 siblings and 3 nieces and nephews can get quite annoying. Especially when you're trying to study and someone wants something or needs to go to the store to pick up something for school and you're the only one old enough to drive. So like I said it depends. If the commute isn't too much and you feel that you'll be able to study in peace and not contemplate running your car into the gigantic oil rig next to you then sure. It is worth it. The last part was for me. Not for you. In no way shape or form am I saying that staying at home will make you think "evil" thoughts. I'm just saying this year I just didn't like it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Members don't see this ad :)
I lived at home for the first three years of college. It saves you a lot of money, and it prevents a lot of fun. Figure out what it's worth to you.

one of the major pluses for UCSD is that i will get to live at home and pay virtually nothing for housing. I would also pay virtually nothing for school b/c of some military thing that gives me a free education at any UC school. it would be awesome.now i just have to get in...haha.

This is like the question on another thread from a gal asking us if she should ask her rich husband to pay for med school...who cares what other people think or do? Why would it matter if it is "worth it" to someone else? The only question is: is it worth it to YOU?

Let me put it this way: there would have to be something pretty freaking intolerable or massively inconvenient to keep me from living at home and saving that kind of money...

there isn't anything in particular that bothers me about being home other than the fact that you don't feel so independent and it can get annoying at times. also i feel that being far away from campus would keep me out of the social loop but i dont know about this which is why i was looking for people that had more experience with this that could share their experiences... i dont know if its worth the cash

one of the major pluses for UCSD is that i will get to live at home and pay virtually nothing for housing. I would also pay virtually nothing for school b/c of some military thing that gives me a free education at any UC school. it would be awesome.now i just have to get in...haha.

What are you talking about? HPSP?

I don't know about you... but I can never get any studying done when I'm home, be it Thanksgiving break, Spring Break, etc. Now that I've been away from home for so long, I would never try and take classes while living at home. Nuh-uh...

I live at home now but I live about 5-10 minutes from campus (I'm in florida, fgcu). So, I may live at home with less independence, but I live so close that I can still do social things on campus plus saving money on no rent. If it works out in your favor, why ignore it?

What are you talking about? HPSP?

He's probably talking about the same thing I've got: Cal Vet Fee Waiver. My reason is that my dad suffered a service-connected death. If you have a parent that is service-connected disabled and you make less than $10,787/year, you qualify.

ryser21, we've had our differences on these boards (opinions about CC), but I think it's funny that we'll end up with the same scholarship. Why didn't you go to a UC for undergrad?

do you know if any other states have a similar program? my dad is also service-disabled but not a CA resident (GA)

I lived at home for the first three years of college. It saves you a lot of money, and it prevents a lot of fun. Figure out what it's worth to you.

Coming from some one who commuted 2 hours every day for the first two years this statement is spot on. You have to decide what's more important to you. You already know how commuting feels, but don't think that getting housing will clear up any problems and absolutely make your life easier and more enjoyable. I know a lot of people that say on/off campus housing is only good for freshman year to meet a lot of people in your class and then after that it isn't worth it.

there isn't anything in particular that bothers me about being home other than the fact that you don't feel so independent and it can get annoying at times. also i feel that being far away from campus would keep me out of the social loop but i dont know about this which is why i was looking for people that had more experience with this that could share their experiences... i dont know if its worth the cash

Well, as someone who is heading to med school, any way that you can reduce the mountain of debt facing you is "worth it" unless you have rich parents.

I live at home right now for a time-consuming master's degree. Given that medical school eats up a lot of your time and it sounds like you'll be gone virtually all day, I'd say go for it. If you only come home to sleep, you'll just save a lot of money. And it's hard to argue with parents if you're never there...

Last edited:
do you know if any other states have a similar program? my dad is also service-disabled but not a CA resident (GA)

I don't know. The very best thing you can do is contact your County VA services officer. Look in your phonebook. Mine was IMMENSELY helpful. Just bring what you can in term of birth cert, your dad's service # and dates, etc. They can look up a lot of stuff for you.