Is it worth it to read through all Gchem and Ochem Notes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prsndwg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am about 1/2 going over Kaplan BB for Gchem and Ochem, and I am not ready to attempt any problems, especially for Gchem. So, My questions is, Is it worth it to spend 3-4 days and go through all my course notes that I took during the school year for Gchem I-II and Ochem I-II.

I just dont feel ready to start attacking the destroyer yet!

Any suggestions of how much time I should put into reviewing all my notes and whether its worth the time/ knowledge or not?

if yes, should i finish Kaplan 1st and then read over all the notes before starting destroyer.

I have about 7 weeks left and I need couple of weeks to take 6 practice tests.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I am about 1/2 going over Kaplan BB for Gchem and Ochem, and I am not ready to attempt any problems, especially for Gchem. So, My questions is, Is it worth it to spend 3-4 days and go through all my course notes that I took during the school year for Gchem I-II and Ochem I-II.

I just dont feel ready to start attacking the destroyer yet!

Any suggestions of how much time I should put into reviewing all my notes and whether its worth the time/ knowledge or not?

if yes, should i finish Kaplan 1st and then read over all the notes before starting destroyer.

I have about 7 weeks left and I need couple of weeks to take 6 practice tests.

Thanks in advance

If i were you i'd finish kaplan for g chem. Kaplan's pretty good for g chem as well as their end of the chapter basic problems and go over some of their conceptual stuff for the o chem section too. Their o chem isnt fully complete but gives some good basics. Destroyer will fill in the rest for o chem. Dont be afraid to start destroyer. Everyone gets like half wrong the first time around and then you redo the questions again, you learn by your mistakes!

Destroyer is a good learning tool that you should use as you study. When you finish, you should then go over the ones you missed and reread those sections in your notes/kaplan. I think once u have some of the basics down conceptually, you must definitely do problems to anchor them into your brain, especially when it comes to G chem.

Remember, g chem too is like math. You can know the concepts but be unable to do problems if you're not exposed to them. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the advise.. this one my original plan.. but came across the great notes that I took couple yrs ago for gchem.. o chem isnt the problem.
i did pretty well on both subjects.. with B's on 1st part and A's on second!

any other thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
anybody else? I really need the answer to this Q..
this is what i advise u to do
http://portal.acs.org/portal/acs/co...1&__uuid=25ad9ce5-1b60-42fd-a8b9-a8d5f6d51d73
go to this website and scroll down to the national and take 3-4 exams
if you score more than 90% on them (just do the multiple choice one), then you can start doing destroyer.
and since you said you got good grades in orgo...i say go ahead and start destroyer...ull find roadmaps along the way which are amazing

good luck

this is what i advise u to do
http://portal.acs.org/portal/acs/co...1&__uuid=25ad9ce5-1b60-42fd-a8b9-a8d5f6d51d73
go to this website and scroll down to the national and take 3-4 exams
if you score more than 90% on them (just do the multiple choice one), then you can start doing destroyer.
and since you said you got good grades in orgo...i say go ahead and start destroyer...ull find roadmaps along the way which are amazing

good luck

Thank you very much.. this is a really good technique to see if i am ready.. thanks again