1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Is it worth it to rush a PCAT for experience or should i wait for January?

Discussion in 'PCAT Discussions' started by nuwinator, Aug 8, 2011.

1. nuwinator

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I am thinking about taking the September 28th PCAT and wondered if 1.5month+ was enough time? (mainly for english/biol sections)

-I am decent with math section (tutored my friend who got 80%raw even though I havent gone over calc1 and stats in 3years; she was really happy so i was proud to have helped)
    -I am a problem solving geek so Ill be able to pick up gen chem fairly fast imo
    -im worried about the biol and english sections. ive never been a english geek and last time i did anything english intensive was for sat which i got a 530/550 on (700 math hehe).
    -im taking genetics and human a&p 1 this fall so ill always be studying for the biology section regardless.

Is it worth it to get a pcat under the belt for experience? or should I wait and rely on those practice tests and try blow the pcat out of the park in January. I plan to take the january one regardless of my decision. Just thought of this because i figured its not like im going to study for 6 months and retain everything...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. thesituation559

thesituation559 Ready for whatever
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I have been studing since early JUNE for the September PCAT. I was thinking about taking the July PCAT but I passed on it. I feel like by studing Dr. Collins and the pearson test and some other materials, I'll be fine. No way I could do that in 1.5 months. For me I'll have close to 3 months studying and I def need all the time I can. It's a lot of stuff to brush up on. I don't know how people start studying 2-3 weeks in advance. But it all depends on the person. Some people need more time than others. I would take the pearson exam if I were you, see how you do then go from there.

4. Bigj5768

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I never know. You might be one of those people who are naturally good at the PCAT. Like I've seen some people study for like 1 to 2 weeks (some even three days) and they score in the 90+. Then again I don't know if they took all the prerequisites or not.

5. Rouelle

PhD Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    You could take an early PCAT and see how you feel at the end. If you feel like you did poorly you can select the no-score option. If you are happy you can take the score. At least you would get the real life experience.