1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it worth it to rush a PCAT for experience or should i wait for January?

Discussion in 'PCAT Discussions' started by nuwinator, Aug 8, 2011.

1. nuwinator

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I am thinking about taking the September 28th PCAT and wondered if 1.5month+ was enough time? (mainly for english/biol sections)

-I am decent with math section (tutored my friend who got 80%raw even though I havent gone over calc1 and stats in 3years; she was really happy so i was proud to have helped)
    -I am a problem solving geek so Ill be able to pick up gen chem fairly fast imo
    -im worried about the biol and english sections. ive never been a english geek and last time i did anything english intensive was for sat which i got a 530/550 on (700 math hehe).
    -im taking genetics and human a&p 1 this fall so ill always be studying for the biology section regardless.

Is it worth it to get a pcat under the belt for experience? or should I wait and rely on those practice tests and try blow the pcat out of the park in January. I plan to take the january one regardless of my decision. Just thought of this because i figured its not like im going to study for 6 months and retain everything...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. thesituation559

thesituation559 Ready for whatever
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I have been studing since early JUNE for the September PCAT. I was thinking about taking the July PCAT but I passed on it. I feel like by studing Dr. Collins and the pearson test and some other materials, I'll be fine. No way I could do that in 1.5 months. For me I'll have close to 3 months studying and I def need all the time I can. It's a lot of stuff to brush up on. I don't know how people start studying 2-3 weeks in advance. But it all depends on the person. Some people need more time than others. I would take the pearson exam if I were you, see how you do then go from there.

4. Bigj5768

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I never know. You might be one of those people who are naturally good at the PCAT. Like I've seen some people study for like 1 to 2 weeks (some even three days) and they score in the 90+. Then again I don't know if they took all the prerequisites or not.

5. Rouelle

PhD Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    You could take an early PCAT and see how you feel at the end. If you feel like you did poorly you can select the no-score option. If you are happy you can take the score. At least you would get the real life experience.