Is it worth it to start volunteering at the hospital now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hari-bhari

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I submitted my application to volunteer at a hospital at beginning of June, but as of yet, they haven't finished processing it (grrr). So it seems as though I wouldn't be starting until July. Is it worth doing it now, in terms of helping on my application, or is it basically too little too late? I guess I would only be able to truthfully list [July 2006 - Current] as the dates. Will not having any hospital volunteering be a big disadvantage (I do have a couple of years of tutoring and non-medical volunteering). Any thoughts are very much appreciated.

EDIT: I also have been shadowing a doctor this summer (about 8hrs/wk).

Members don't see this ad.

hari-bhari said:
I submitted my application to volunteer at a hospital at beginning of June, but as of yet, they haven't finished processing it (grrr). So it seems as though I wouldn't be starting until July. Is it worth doing it now, in terms of helping on my application, or is it basically too little too late? I guess I would only be able to truthfully list [July 2006 - Current] as the dates. Will not having any hospital volunteering be a big disadvantage (I do have a couple of years of tutoring and non-medical volunteering). Any thoughts are very much appreciated.

p.s. What does OP mean?

original poster.

hey man, it's always good to have some volunteering/medical related work because that way med schools know that you've seen what it's like to be around a medical setting and know what you're getting into. i would list the july 2006-current thing there's nothing wrong with listen things u plan to do. just hope the hospital doesn't REJECT you! lol

i agree, schools not only want you to have that type of experience, they want to see that its currently happening, that you still are getting experience in a medical environment. List it and you'll be able to talk about it more come interview time (if you get them).

Members don't see this ad :)
hari-bhari said:

You are applying this year, correct?

If so, I don't know what to tell you. On one hand, it's great to have that experience and it's great to show that you're working in a hospital instead of just doing it one summer your freshman year.

However, you're doing it so late, it's bound to raise some eyebrows. One adcom told me that everything you do six months prior to applying is not seriously considered, because they look at it as you hurrying up and padding your application right before med school.

Hopefully that won't be the case.

hari-bhari said:

im in the exact same situation, except my volunteering starts in two weeks... but there seems to be conflicting opinions on here

yeaaaa...that was my same situation!

Im finishing college in 3 years, and I did research last summer and this summer, but I never got around to comunity service! I was going to apply now but it seems I may have a better shot if I took a year off. So thats what I've decided to do.

But, if you are set on applying this semester, it definatly couldn't hurt! :)

This is an interesting post! I started doing a great medically related work in May, and a non-medical, community volunteering thing in June. I guess it is possible they could see it as padding your application. If you had never had any medical volunteering I might think that too, b/c it's like crap I haven't checked of the medical volunteering box yet. BUT, it's also good to show that even while their processing your interview your still doing stuff, AND there can be good reasons to be just starting them. Me for example, I have nothing else to do so why the heck not do some things to fill my time and put on my apps.

It's worth it. Schools still want you to keep them updated on what you've done since submitting your AMCAS anyway. This could help for getting interviews and for the Adcoms to make their decision. And if you don't get in then you still have the volunteering experience for the next app cycle which you needed anyway.

excellent advice from all of you. i think ill stick with the volunteering. worst comes to worst, it will help me for next year.

hari-bhari said:
excellent advice from all of you. i think ill stick with the volunteering. worst comes to worst, it will help me for next year.

I respect your choice to volunteer but what's with your last sentence?
it will help me for next year
. Sorry if I'm the only person disturbed by this.

don't see how this is disturbing.
what i meant was that even if i dont get in this year, the experience will still help me for the next application cycle. am i missing something here? :confused:

hari-bhari said:
what i meant was that even if i dont get in this year, the experience will still help me for the next application cycle. am i missing something here? :confused:

ya, I think you are. But lets leave it at this.

(i don't get it either)

no worries. if anyone else has any added input or advice on the situation, i'd be more than happy to hear it :)

hari-bhari said:

I think what he or she is trying to get at is that it sounds like you're volunteering just to put it on your application.
Who enjoys changing bed sheets and answering phone calls anyways? ;) Jk.....

Jacks Mannequin said:
I think what he or she is trying to get at is that it sounds like you're volunteering just to put it on your application.

Ugh, you mean people actually do that? :smuggrin:

well i think the statement needs to be taken with a grain of salt. lots of people have many other things in their lives and time must be divided according to what will be most beneficial. I do enjoy volunteering very much, and I did it in a hospital when I was in high school. But going around a hospital doing menial work doesn't seem as enticing as going out and helping some kids or building a house, if you catch my drift.

it is definitely worth it to do some volunteering now.

i was in a similar position last year. i started volunteering in the ER in september, and although it was too late to list on my initial applications i did mention it in my update letters. also, my volunteering experiences defintiely came up during my interviews.

more importantly--taking a step back from this insane application process--the experience was very worthwhile.