Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2011
Status
Academic Administration
Hello I am a pre-med student working on my reinvention. I graduate in May, but I am already planning on taking more upper level division science courses to help with my current gpa state. I have 120+ hours and around a 2.75 cum and science gpa. I am currently taking cell biology as one of my upper division science courses, but during the first test I did poorly. I had a funeral to go to that day the death was sudden and the whole week was hectic not giving me time to study and honestly couldn't focus while taking the test. I ended up getting a 55. (I also tried getting out of the test to take later, but my teacher didn't budge and I didn't bother pushing the subject which hindsight i should've). The class only contains 3 tests and I get 20 points of bonus quizzes which I currently have 4 points of and the others will be taken later in the semester. With that being said I would have to average around a 90.5 on the other two tests just to receive a B in the course (not including bonuses) I wouldn't say it would be impossible, but it seems like it'll be a lot of harder work to stay in the course just to maybe get a B. I know a C would hurt me a lot more and a B won't help as much since I was planning on receiving A's in these courses. Would it be better to attempt to receive a B or drop the course and try again in the Spring to achieve an A.

Another note I currently have 3 W's from my earlier years in college because of transitioning schools or dealing with personal issues. I know people have said before a W isn't the biggest deal in the world, but I feel like it'll start to add up and not look as well since I'm trying to reinvent myself. I feel like my reasoning to withdrawal is reasonable. Is the risk worth it to obtain a B in this course or is it better to wait a semester withdrawal and shoot for an A again.
There is Goro's Guide for Reinvention that we hope you read.

I will say a pattern of W's will draw attention to many faculty. You won't get to do that so much in med school. But I would also suggest thinking about a SMP. Your GPA is really low and needs at least some focused rigorous science coursework, IMO.

P.S. a pattern = more than 2 W's.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
I think you should take the W now and try again later for an A. You have a long way to go before you are a viable med school candidate, and one more W early on in your GPA repair phase can easily be forgiven among a sea of multiple, A-level grades that will (eventually) appear later on your transcript.

Reactions: chemdoctor
OP
Mr.Smile12

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2011
Status
Academic Administration
I appreciate the response and I have reviewed Goro's Guide for Reinvention. I also have been looking at SMP programs I forgot to add that in my paragraph. I wanted to boost my undergrad science gpa more to be more competitive for a SMP because at my gpa now I feel like it might be hard without a stellar MCAT. Even with the patterns of W's which I feel like I should be able to address if it does come up. Would you advise me to stay in this course to attempt for a B even with my current low grade or take another W and try again later for an A.
Have you talked with the SMP program directors about your situation whether you are "competitive enough" for their programs?

As pointed out earlier it will depend on admissions committees themselves and the history of decision making at each program.
Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Reactions: chemdoctor
Status
Not open for further replies.