Is it Worth it????--- You opinion needed....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dental genius

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just got accepted to two dental schools for DDS. I am in a fix and can't decide which one to choose. Both the schools are reputed. One in the east coast and one on the west coast. I am from PA.

Besides the reputation, I did my research on the two schools through internet and talking to students at both the places. The school on the west coast has an extremely strong clinical program and The patient exposure to the school on east coat is less owing to less patient pool. But the west coast school is expensive. The total cost of attendence is $50000 more.

My question, Is it worth spending $50000 more to get better training and hands on experience??? When I graduate will that better training have any bearing on my earning when I get a job??? Is it worth it???? Both schools are reputed!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I just got accepted to two dental schools for DDS. I am in a fix and can't decide which one to choose. Both the schools are reputed. One in the east coast and one on the west coast. I am from PA.

Besides the reputation, I did my research on the two schools through internet and talking to students at both the places. The school on the west coast has an extremely strong clinical program and The patient exposure to the school on east coat is less owing to less patient pool. But the west coast school is expensive. The total cost of attendence is $50000 more.

My question, Is it worth spending $50000 more to get better training and hands on experience??? When I graduate will that better training have any bearing on my earning when I get a job??? Is it worth it???? Both schools are reputed!!!!

To me in the grand scheme of things $50K is not that big of deal. I'm sure others will tell you differently but now that I'm in the workforce I'm thankful that I attended a strong clinical school rather than the opposite. I've seen others who graduated from less clinical settings really struggling at the beginning, that's why a GRP or AEGD is probably the best for those new grads. So, if you count that you may have to do an extra year in order to get up to speed (again, this may not be necessary) the extra $50K in spending may be well worth it to hit the ground running when you graduate.

can you tell us the two schools, maybe we can offer better advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
talk to current dental students at BU.. they do minimal endos and fixed pros there I think.

BU has a good didactic reputation but clinically i heard they dont get that much endo / fixed pros / implants so maybe things will change in 3 yrs when ur in clinic.

consider the cost of living in SF versus Boston. where do you family and friends live? which one are they closer to? choosing a dental school isn't like choosing a spouse! forget about what procedures are done where and which is better didactically, you will be a dentist regardless! no matter where you go, you wont be any better of a dentist compared to how you will be when you are 60. CE will be necessary after any school and your dental skills are truly at the bare minimum when you graduate dental school. I highly encourage you to think about the non dental school issues (cost, family, friends, living, environment,etc) before you commit 4 years to going somewhere that you may regret.

I graduated from dental school in 2007. I had 130K in loans, which is much less than most of my class mates! I would tell you to save $$$. DDS/DMD is all you need to get a job and what school you attend does not matter. Thats my advice, I hope it helps!

If someone offered you $50,000 to choose BU, would you take the deal? That is essentially what you need to decide. The cheapest route to a dental degree possible is the best 100% of the time.

What if the difference is $90k (UoP vs UCSF)? As practicing dentists/residents, do you think that it is worth it to graduate 1 year earlier? Or do you think I would be better off in the long run with $90k less debt???

What if the difference is $90k (UoP vs UCSF)? As practicing dentists/residents, do you think that it is worth it to graduate 1 year earlier? Or do you think I would be better off in the long run with $90k less debt???

I think $90k is a big deal. BIG deal. You get to be in SF either way.

Plus you'll be able to specialize easier out of UCSF. No one specializes from UoP because it's impossible.

You'd be better off with less debt. New graduates in this economy often consider doing things that they shouldn't be doing, largely due to a huge debt load. Save yourself from that in part by attending a cheaper school.

Plus you'll be able to specialize easier out of UCSF. No one specializes from UoP because it's impossible.

Says the guy specializing in OMFS...

I just wanted to say, who makes their name "dental genius" who isn't even in dental school?

That being said, pros and cons to both I'm sure. Come to SF.

90k seems like a ton to me. Make sure you factor in how much sitting on your loans for an extra year will cost you (It's probably around $20,000 in capitalization fees). But even then that's still a ton. If it's really that much I'd just go wit UCSF more likely than not.

:laugh:

Its Boston University and University of California, San Francisco..

Thanks odontologia and mmasurf.

Where are you getting your numbers? BU's tuition/fees are actually much higher than UCSF's...unless you're an international student.

http://dentalschool.bu.edu/registrar/dmd-tuition.html
http://finaid.ucsf.edu/application-process/student-budget#totals

My suggestion is go to the cheaper school. And if you feel you are lacking in experience, do a GPR. It's only an extra year training and plus you get a stipend.