Is it worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deep1r562

SONNY
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey my name is Sonny and im currently a sophomoe. I have one question. I have been getting letters from tons of programs that study medicine. (For example: National Youth Leadership Forum on Medicine and the National Student Leadership Conference. Should I attend these or is it a waste of time? Will it improve my chances of being accepted to medical school, because I dont want to waste 2200 dollars on something that isnt relevant.

Members don't see this ad.

lol i used to get that stuff in the mail all the time, but i never even attended them...however, i wouldnt do it just because it will improve chances to get into med school rather do it if you wanna see if studying medicine is worth it!!! med schools want people to do something you enjoy...and personally i think they'll have some kinda hunch if you do it just to get into med school, but dont get me twisted go for it if you think it's worth it to learn more about the med field!!

Deep1r562 said:
Hey my name is Sonny and im currently a sophomoe. I have one question. I have been getting letters from tons of programs that study medicine. (For example: National Youth Leadership Forum on Medicine and the National Student Leadership Conference. Should I attend these or is it a waste of time? Will it improve my chances of being accepted to medical school, because I dont want to waste 2200 dollars on something that isnt relevant.

I did a National Youth Leadership forum back in the day. It was on Defense, Intelligence and Diplomacy or something...point is, it was awesome cause I met some really cool people. I think you can get scholarships for it too. With all this in mind, I ask...
Why not?

JayQuah said:
With all this in mind, I ask...
Why not?

Uhm - I can think of at least $2,200 reasons not to go to these things. They are essentially well-run businesses preying on pre-meds insecurities (kinda like those silly "who's who" books you pay to put yourself in).