Quantcast

is it worth it?

BeMo Free Repeat™ On Us + 5 Med School Challenge
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bisulfite

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it worth having a girlfriend in college? Before I started going out with this one girl, I was so focused on schoolwork and I was getting very strong grades. But, as I started hanging out with this girl more and more, my grades are starting to slip. School is definitely my first priority, but I'm not sure I want to end it with this person because i really like her. Any advice?

DenmarkDoctor

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it worth having a girlfriend in college? Before I started going out with this one girl, I was so focused on schoolwork and I was getting very strong grades. But, as I started hanging out with this girl more and more, my grades are starting to slip. School is definitely my first priority, but I'm not sure I want to end it with this person because i really like her. Any advice?

There is time for both, and possible a third. Just set time to study only, no distractions. Then after studying have it!:thumbup:

Stolenspatulas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

uh. this is silly. there's no point in life where one should not engage their emotions. fck school as the ONLY priority.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

You don't want to get into the habit of putting off life for school. Emotional maturity and your interpersonal relationships will help you in this field as much as grades do. And balance is always essential.

She can help you study and when you do well you get a present :)

Yay school and fun all in one!

Stolenspatulas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
You don't want to get into the habit of putting off life for school. Emotional maturity and your interpersonal relationships will help you in this field as much as grades do. And balance is always essential.

haha who cares about the "field." as if relationships should be used as an element to make you a better doctor.

getting a gf or bf whatever is a part of life. its not a part of life geared for premeds in the sense that it will help them with their bedside manner or whatever. sheez. go out with others, get married, make mistakes, and have like 30 babies and adopt 4.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
haha who cares about the "field." as if relationships should be used as an element to make you a better doctor.

getting a gf or bf whatever is a part of life. its not a part of life geared for premeds in the sense that it will help them with their bedside manner or whatever. sheez. go out with others, get married, make mistakes, and have like 30 babies and adopt 4.

I agree with you. But was trying to point out to the OP that it isn't an either or, and often one facilitates the other. Maturity doesn't come from academics, it comes from life.

inside_edition

Waitlisted Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I agree with you. But was trying to point out to the OP that it isn't an either or, and often one facilitates the other. Maturity doesn't come from academics, it comes from life.

lol, i hope you're not agreeing about the 30 babies part hahah.

TMP-SMX

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this a serious question? If you can't figure out how to manage your time you are going to become a workaholic doctor that has no life... I fear for you. You are afraid to have a life when you are in college... What is going to happen when you are working 60+ hours a week.

inside_edition

Waitlisted Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
LOL - If he can find a girlfriend who is willing to have 30 babies with an unemployed student, more power to him. :D

hahah, a girlfriend? i thought Stolenspatulas was referring to 30 babies by 30 different women..lol.

bisulfite

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My parents are paying a lot of money to send me to this school. I don't want to waste my parents' hard earned money.

I tend to be very bad at balancing things. I usually like to focus all of my attention to one thing, which is pretty bad and will probably hurt me if I want to be a doctor someday.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My parents are paying a lot of money to send me to this school. I don't want to waste my parents' hard earned money.

A very large majority of folks who matriculate to med school had SO's in college. I hardly think their parents money went to waste. If you can't manage college and dating, what are you going to do when the workload increases dramatically in med school? For most people on this path, college is the easiest you are going to have it.

bubabugster

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Honestly, it comes down to the person you're dating. I think that if that person has a life they are not going to give you grief over studying. I don't know- whatever- I mean experience is important because most relationships don't work out anyways. But it is best to learn from your mistakes so that you don't make any balancing act/relationship mistakes when you are in med school. You have to figure out how to keep a cool head while dating so that it doesn't screw up your future goals. Everyone's been there and done that and learns from their experience. Good luck! :luck:

premeddick

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard somewhere from someone (i know, tremendously vague) that a male who has a girlfriend (or at least has consistent play) does better in school because he does not think about sex as often nor is he as distracted by it as others. I have noticed this for me but who knows, its just a hypothesis.

TeaLeef

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's all about balance. If you're focused on doing well, having a gf/bf won't distract you from your goals. If anything, having a significant other will be a great support system for when things get tough. I know that I couldn't have gone through this application cycle without my bf encouraging me along each step.

ADeadLois

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

I have two things to say about this.

1.) End relationships with significant others BEFORE you enter college. It's a disaster waiting to happen. Get a girlfriend while you're there. After 1100 some-odd posts, I'm going to come out and say that this is the best advice I have given or will give on this forum.

2.) Having a girlfriend takes up time. There's no way around it. It's best to know this BEFORE you get into a relationship, since the whole "sex or homework" thing is probably the lamest debate you'll ever have with yourself.

macunderdog

Pre-Med Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hmm...ya'll are scaring me a bit...i am new at college. i dont want to screw up my schooling because of a girl, but dont want to screw up my brain holding all these emotions inside! hehe

solitude

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My worst semester academically in college was when my girlfriend and I were not dating. IMO, having a SO can actually enhance your academic performance, as long as she isn't super-needy.

wolfram241

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Date a local high school chick. Makes things much easier.