is it worth majoring in neurobio science over regular biology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fourstar

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out that my school offers neurobio science .. however it's an interdiscplinary major. (not really sure what that means, more independent type study rather than a developed one i guess?)

I'm more interested in the neuroscience aspect rather than regular biology dealing with ecology, botany, etc.

I'm currently a bio major... and to get into the neurobio program, i have to submit an application and i don't meet some of the requirements as of right now.

I also have to do a senior thesis with a faculty member (anybody have more info on senior thesis?) whereas in bio, i don't have to do one.

if my specialty of interest in psychiatry, neurobio would be more fitting than regular biology.

what do you guys think

Members don't see this ad.

Well, if you are really interested in neuro, then I say go for it! I personally LOVE neuro, but decided to go for a more general major in which I get a multidisciplinary exposure to the human being.

My take on the term 'interdisciplinary' is that you'll receive a wide breadth of classes.........you won't just be taking 'biology' courses, but will get some psychology courses, physiology courses, chemistry courses (perhaps neuropharmacology), etc.

As far as the thesis goes, this means that you will have to get yourself involved in some research. If you like neuro that much, then maybe this will be a way to pursue your interest that much more. Perhaps there are other research options besides those in the molecular realm.....perhaps you could do jump on whole-animal studies (ie neurophysiology, even though this usually dips into the molecular world) or maybe some cool psychology or even neuroimaging stuff. In other words, there's a lot of really cool stuff out there, so if you truly have a passion for neuro, then I say go for it. :horns:

I agree with felipe. It's also worth mentioning that in the eyes of the ADCOMs, they're both viewed as "Life Sciences" so is of very little value in differentiating from a regular Biology degree.

That said, if you love it, do it. Grades are hundreds of times more important than what your major is. Some statistics you hear, such as the fact that "Philosophy majors have a much higher admission rate than Biology majors", has more to do with the fact that most Philosophy pre-meds get really good grades. On the other hand, almost all Biology majors apply regardless of whether they stand a chance or not.

i really want to do it, it's just that by doing so, I feel like it's going to create more stress for me.

I have to worry about fulfilling the requirements to get into the program first of all... taking all the courses for tracking that I'm behind in, finding two advisors, trying to get involved in a research, completing my thesis before i graduate, etc..etc...

I guess I'm going to be in undergrad an extra year.. there's no way i can fit all this into my current schedule and expect to graduate on time.