Is it worth pursuing ortho? Especially if not in the stereotype? M1 advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skol926

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a current M1 at a top 20 US med school. I lucked out before med school and got to work under a well known ortho surgeon and so far 9 of my papers from the year have been accepted, and 13 are finished, submitted, and under review.

Now, before even starting studying for step or even confirming I want to go into ortho, I feel I am locking myself into pursuing it with this research.

So this is my question. Would you recommend I continue to pursue ortho? My hesitation is the stereotype and culture. I love sports but am not athletic, and genetically very small. I'm one of those dudes who can wrap my pinky and thumb around my wrist. Meanwhile it seemed every resident I interacted with last year played D1 sports (male and female) and were ultra outgoing, funny, and knew how to present themselves. I'm more passive and on the quiet side and felt shy interacting with them.

Should these be red flag hesitations about pursuing ortho? I think I'd like the work, not sure about fitting the culture though. Just want an idea before I put my head down and keep making ortho connections and continuing with the research. And if I did pursue a different specialty, would all this ortho research look weird?

Also I haven't even taken STEP yet so who knows if this is relevant.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The hell with the world man, pursue what you love. Whether it be ortho or not.

Reactions: 3 users
So you've spent a year doing ortho research, presumably spent time with and hung out with these people, and are still worried about stupid things like stereotypes? I address a little of this in my AMA but seriously, do what you love and don't look at what anyone else looks or acts like.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users