Is it worth switching majors as a pre med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Protools

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
sorry if this questions been asked before, i searched for it but there wasn't anything exactly like the question im asking.

im starting second year as a biochemistry major and was thinking of switching out.I did pretty badly last year (2.5 ish gpa) but that was due to a mixture of me goofing off and not knowing what i wanted to do. now after i spent nearly 100 ish hours shadowing/volunteering at physicians clinics i feel as if i know i want to go the med route (quick back story)

Now, before i start the school year, i decided on really talking to older people in my programs and the advisor, and they all tell me that the program is not easy and if i want to bump my gpa, i should switch to another program. the reason im at a dilemma is that IF it doesnt work out for me, biochemistry seems like an area of research which i'd prefer, but again medicine is my primary choice.

courses id be taking in biochemistry this year are: organic 1, organic 2 + lab, analytical chem + lab 1 & lab 2, molecular biology, applied microbiology, statistical thermodynamics, biochemistry, and computer science for chemists.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
sorry if this questions been asked before, i searched for it but there wasn't anything exactly like the question im asking.

im starting second year as a biochemistry major and was thinking of switching out.I did pretty badly last year (2.5 ish gpa) but that was due to a mixture of me goofing off and not knowing what i wanted to do. now after i spent nearly 100 ish hours shadowing/volunteering at physicians clinics i feel as if i know i want to go the med route (quick back story)

Now, before i start the school year, i decided on really talking to older people in my programs and the advisor, and they all tell me that the program is not easy and if i want to bump my gpa, i should switch to biology or the biomedical science program. the reason im at a dilemma is that IF it doesnt work out for me, biochemistry seems like an area of research which i'd prefer, but again medicine is my primary choice.

courses id be taking in biochemistry this year are: organic 1, organic 2 + lab, analytical chem + lab 1 & lab 2, molecular biology, applied microbiology, statistical thermodynamics, biochemistry, and computer science for chemists.

If medical school doesn't work out for you, there are plenty of other opportunities in medicine you can consider. If you really want to go to med school, you need to go all out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Being that you will need to dramatically improve your gpa, I would do which ever major allows you to have the best chance at getting A's at your school.

I would agree, you're in a bit of a dilemma. If medicine is your passion, you need to pull your GPA up. There's just no way they're going to take a 2.5-3.0 GPA. 3.5 or higher is really where you need to be. Those classes look like they will tear you apart. If you really want to be a physician, I would suggest picking a more manageable major. However, you are correct that your chances to go into research would dwindle in these other areas, and if you don't make it into medical school you're going to be between a rock and a hard place. There is, of course, other routes like DO you could go to if MD doesn't work out.

Breakdown:

Medicine: Switch to easy major
Research: Stay in major (give up MD/DO hopes with that GPA)
Both: Switch major, pursue biochemistry research opportunities

I would agree, you're in a bit of a dilemma. If medicine is your passion, you need to pull your GPA up. There's just no way they're going to take a 2.5-3.0 GPA. 3.5 or higher is really where you need to be. Those classes look like they will tear you apart. If you really want to be a physician, I would suggest picking a more manageable major. However, you are correct that your chances to go into research would dwindle in these other areas, and if you don't make it into medical school you're going to be between a rock and a hard place. There is, of course, other routes like DO you could go to if MD doesn't work out.

Breakdown:

Medicine: Switch to easy major
Research: Stay in major (give up MD/DO hopes with that GPA)
Both: Switch major, pursue biochemistry research opportunities

but what major would allow me to both pursue biochemistry research as well as allow me to pull up my gpa?

I was a biology major and chemistry minor in under grad. i took a biochem and advanced biochem course and am currently a molecular biochem research assistant during my gap year. you can be a biology major and get in contact with a biochem prof who does research at your school and set something up. I knew people in undergrad who were field biology majors who were doing biochemical research. it can be done.

but what major would allow me to both pursue biochemistry research as well as allow me to pull up my gpa?

I was a biology major and chemistry minor in under grad. i took a biochem and advanced biochem course and am currently a molecular biochem research assistant during my gap year. you can be a biology major and get in contact with a biochem prof who does research at your school and set something up. I knew people in undergrad who were field biology majors who were doing biochemical research. it can be done.

I concur with eggs13.

Thanks a lot guys.

I also have one more quick question (not sure if you guys may be able to answer this) but how are the grad opportunities as a biomedical scientist?