Is it worth the major switch. Soph. GPA-3.16

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlmostJesus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if it is worth my time to switch majors and pursue medicine. I am currently a nursing major who has had thoughts of switching over to premed and now I need to make my decision before April 1 to confirm my spot in nursing school. I recently graduated from a paramedic course in February and since then, I have been becoming increasingly distanced from the nursing program as far as my commitment to stay with it and more and more interested in pursuing medicine. I want my decision to be well informed, because if i do this, I need to put my all into this.
I am talking to my school's pre-med advisor on Monday and I want to be prepared.
My plan would be to switch to a Sociology major and then take my pre-med requirements which would be 1 pre-med class per semester/summer session until I graduate, thus I would be able to focus on a science class at a time.

What I got now:
Private South Dakota college, 90% Pre-Health acceptance rate
Sophomore in standing
GPA: 3.16 BCPM: 2.48
Started out slow, but I have been increasing my grades each semester since I got here, I was on the Dean's List last semester.
Completed a part-time Paramedic program during the past year while attending college
Paramedic program GPA: 4.0
I completed the equivalent of 71 credits from February to February between the paramedic program and full-time school, thus I am used to being in a crunch, I am finding I thrive under stress.

ECs:
Many hours volunteering at my hometown's arts center
700 hours of clinical time for my Paramedic Program
30 hours as a teaching assistant for an EMT-B program
100 hours as a compensated volunteer for my hometown ambulance service
EMT-B since my Senior year of high school
----
Looking to set up as a volunteer at a local free clinic
Applying to live in my college's global education house which includes a global issues project
Looking at doing a Medical Mission as a paramedic

Work:
2 years at my hometown hospital as a ward clerk
2.25 years at my hometown ambulance service (compensated volunteer)
1.5 years in my college student health office as a work-study receptionist (I am the only student in this position)
Currently interviewing for a position as a part-time paramedic on weekends in two <15,000 cities

Demographics:
White Male
Rural town (<2000 people)
Dad Farmer, Mom Teacher, No family medical professionals
Decent relationships with my hometown doctors for references
ACT: 27 Overall, 32 Science, 27 Comprehension HS GPA: 3.5
No criminal record

I am looking to get into medical school, whether it be MD or DO, I wouldn't be opposed to doing a masters program first. I would prefer to do an American school, but I am open to anything, I just want to be a decent physician (prospective specialties: emergency medicine, family medicine) I have a feeling one of my best chances would be at the medical school in my state, what do you guys think?
Thank you for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

You've certainly participated in your fair share of ECs for a sophomore (I might even say you already have more clinical experience than most graduating seniors).

Your GPA could use some work, but you've still got a long time before you apply. If, for example, you were to maintain an 3.8 for your next two years you'd have a 3.6 cGPA and a solid upward grade trend.

I would advise against the sociology major, however, because I doubt it would do you any favors in preparing you for the MCAT. To be fair I do not have any objective data to support this claim, but I do think that taking more science courses prior to the MCAT will give you a better foundation for the material on the exam.

Again, your GPA is not irreparable and your clinical experience is stellar. My suggestion would be to find a research spot for a semester or two to make your ECs complete.

You've certainly participated in your fair share of ECs for a sophomore (I might even say you already have more clinical experience than most graduating seniors).

Your GPA could use some work, but you've still got a long time before you apply. If, for example, you were to maintain an 3.8 for your next two years you'd have a 3.6 cGPA and a solid upward grade trend.

I would advise against the sociology major, however, because I doubt it would do you any favors in preparing you for the MCAT. To be fair I do not have any objective data to support this claim, but I do think that taking more science courses prior to the MCAT will give you a better foundation for the material on the exam.

Again, your GPA is not irreparable and your clinical experience is stellar. My suggestion would be to find a research spot for a semester or two to make your ECs complete.
Thank you so much for your input, it makes a huge difference.
My reasoning for the Sociology major is
1) It is an interesting subject, I am in medical sociology and it is changing my practice in my medical field jobs.
2) The professors in the Sociology department are very likable and thus, I would be able to achieve fairly well in the class
3) Being able to achieve in these classes would mean better grades which would = higher cGPA
4) I would have to complete 20 credits to be able to finish the major after I factor in the classes Ive completed in Sociology and the pre-med reqs
5) I would be able to focus on one science class per semester which means I will be able to devote to that class and do better

That being said, I would only have to take one more class (Chem Analysis) to qualify for a Chem Minor which could help the process
I can see where you are coming from with the taking as many science classes as possible before the MCAT, I like that idea too, but my problem class is always my science classes, I know I have immense capability with science, I think my fault is my study skills, thus I want to focus on one science class at a time to optimize my learning which should help more with the MCAT in the long term.
The other reason is I am staying away from extra science/a biology major is I have always had a problem with Ecology and that is what the 2nd semester first year bio class is, and I know it would hurt my science GPA. I have been avoiding that class like the plague (I know a crappy excuse)

Would my ECs be adaquate? I plan on teaching EMT class more and various short-term volunteering gigs.
I was also wondering is having 2 years experience working as a paramedic on the weekends in a hospital based service which I work in the ER when I am not on ambulance calls really going to make my application pop?

The one thing that frustrates me about this entire process is when I talk to other pre-med majors. Many of them seem to be just doing things like volunteering for the sole sake of their med school app. When I talk to them, they are dull and frustrating to talk to. But, these people have the stellar grades to get into med school.
Two examples that frustrate me:
I was talking to this girl in one of my classes and she brought up that she was doing paramedic school next year and I was pumped for her and talking to her about it and she completely blew it off as an easy class just to look good on her med school app. (She will be surprised)
The other one my preceptor told me about. He was preceptoring a paramedic student a couple years ago who was premed just trying to put in his time. The guy couldn't talk to his patients and was terrible at patient care. We were at the hospital while I was on my internship and the guy was on the med student roster.
Then there is me, I have been working hard since high school to get clinical experiences and improving myself because I am so curious. I have been told by numerous people that I would make a phenomenal physician because I am constantly trying to improve myself and I have good bed-side manner and I am constantly striving to do more. The only thing that is holding me back from being a physician is my grades and my abilities in my science classes. Important I know, but I think people have different definitions of "well rounded"

Finally, for anyone reading this thread because they are in a similar situation, I recommend visiting your school's counseling service. I have been seeing a counselor since I started school and its really brought me to where I am at today, it makes a HUGE difference.

Sorry about the rant, thank you so much for your feedback,
Michael

Members don't see this ad :)
...but my problem class is always my science classes, I know I have immense capability with science, I think my fault is my study skills, thus I want to focus on one science class at a time to optimize my learning which should help more with the MCAT in the long term.
I agree that you'd yield a higher cGPA with the sociology major. However, a science-heavy curriculum is in your near future if you are accepted to med school, so it would be wise to slay this beast in a more low-risk environment (ie undergrad).

Would my ECs be adaquate? I plan on teaching EMT class more and various short-term volunteering gigs. I was also wondering is having 2 years experience working as a paramedic on the weekends in a hospital based service which I work in the ER when I am not on ambulance calls really going to make my application pop?
Your ECs are your strongest advocate at this point. I encourage you to keep up what you're doing, especially if you enjoy it.

The one thing that frustrates me about this entire process is when I talk to other pre-med majors. Many of them seem to be just doing things like volunteering for the sole sake of their med school app. When I talk to them, they are dull and frustrating to talk to. But, these people have the stellar grades to get into med school.
You have stumbled upon the unfortunate reality that is "playing the game." It is sad that some people are simply apathetic towards volunteering, tutoring, etc. yet succeed in a humanitarian career nonetheless. I do concede, though, that there are aspects of the application process that I resent (LORs, shadowing).

I did deciede to take the plunge and go the pre-medicine route. I discussed with with the school's pre-med advisor and my sociology professor and we all agreed that it would be feasible. Thus, I made the official switch to a Sociology major with a pre-medicine emphasis
The plan I had for finishing in 4 years and having a chance to matriculate right after I graduate was shot down thanks to budget cuts. I was planning on taking Physics this summer through a local university but the professor quit as a result of budget cuts, thus the class was cancelled. I replaced that loss by substituting in a general biology class and statistics. Unfortunately, this will put me in a disadvantage to attempt my MCAT next spring. Thus, I will be looking at adding a gap year.
Would it be better during my gap year to work as a paramedic full time and take some baccalaureate level classes on the side or should I be pursuing a master's degree and working part time?
Thank you for the help, you guys have been a huge driving force behind my decisions.

I thought I would take a chance to provide an update, both to get more information, and for the information of others who may be in my situation.

Since I have made the switch (and my last post)
My AMCAS GPA has increased to 3.21 but my BCPM is now 2.71
My school GPA is 3.16
I have conquered 4 credits of physics, 4 credits of biology, and 4 credits of organic chemistry.
Unfortunately, this shows somewhat of a downward trend gradewise. I ended up getting a C+ in Organic Chemistry. This was very unfortunate for me as I actually started to really understand it and dare I say... enjoy it after midterm. The past month was chaotic when my laptop was stolen and through the investigation, it was found and it was also highly suspected that one of my housemates (1 of 11) stole my laptop along with two other laptops. Thus, he was removed. This distraction took a toll on my studying ability during the last month going into finals, thus, I was not able to put my all into the finals and I missed a B by 0.7%.
Sob story aside, is this history of C's in chemistry classes really going to hurt me? Is it going to not be worth it to apply to med school, or does my roundedness lend an opportunity? I feel as though I can get a better upward trend this coming semester, I have a good rapport with the professor.

On the good side of things, this summer, I was able to get a job as a paramedic at a 25 bed critical access hospital. The best part about this work is that when we are not on ambulance calls, we function in the role of an ER nurse, thus I have had a ton of patient care opportunities and even bigger, a TON of responsibility. I get a good balance of clinical decision making in the field along with hospital work. This also gives me a ton of experience with patients, writing notes such as SOAP notes and narratives, and assessments. I also have a good rapport with a few of the doctors there, thus I have a good reference pool.
I feel as though this is the shining star of my application at this point. How many 21 year old college students work in the role of an ER nurse and paramedic? Would the adcom see this the same way?

I have also been working on creating a more rounded self. I became a member of a campus "theme house" (ours is the Global Education House) and part of this is both living with peers and helping others. We mentor a Nepali immigrant family and do other volunteering. Along with this, we are considered the model theme house on campus based on our ability to balance out volunteerism with student activities and activities for the public.

Do I still have a chance? Bear in mind, the top of my list is the med school in my home state (USD School of Medicine).

Thanks again,
Almost Jesus

Academics are more important than ECs. If you need to cut back on the ECs, do it. A committee may not even look at the (impressive) rest of your application with your current numbers.

Here's the USD '2014 profile: cGPA 3.71, sGPA 3.63, MCAT 29.9O

Good luck!

Just as an update.
My grades are holding steady, which is not a good thing and not a bad thing. I am still around the 3.2 AMCAS GPA. My organic chemistry class has given me hope as the concepts have really been clicking with me giving me a good feeling for the MCAT.
My current plan is to finish OChem 2 this semester, take pre-calc and physics this summer while maintaining an intense MCAT studying regimen with the hopes of taking the MCAT at the end of the summer. Then, I can submit my application around the beginning of October. I will still have to complete my second math class during the fall semester, but USD does do conditional acceptances.
I had the opportunity to speak with the dean of student affairs for the school when he gave a presentation at my college. I explained to him that so long as I am above the minimums to be given an interview (3.1 GPA and a MCAT >25 for a resident) that I would be very competitive. He cited 1) Completing paramedic school while attending school full time 2) Working in 2 small town hospitals with extensive clinical experience and 3)My desire to practice in SD as very attractive points in my application. Being a school meant to education the next generation of doctors in the state, especially with an emphasis on rural medicine, having a candidate that knows the tough call schedules and realities of rural medicine should go a long way.
At this point, I have one doctor at each job lined up to write me a LOR. Would it be more beneficial to ask my academic advisor (Ph.D Adjunct faculty with the medical school teaching gerontology courses) or another physician for a LOR. One physician I could ask does teach family medicine during the rural rotations at the school (although we do not always see eye to eye, I feel she would support me), other options would include the medical director who oversees me in my paramedic role, a PA that I work closely with, a DO that I work closely with (I will ask him if I apply DO), or one of my managers at work. Which one would likely look the best?
Thanks in advance for your help,
AJ