1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Is it worth the money?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by TheElement, May 18, 2008.

1. TheElement

TheElement Being Lazzy
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have a chance to visit a couple of med schools before the interviewing processes start but it'll cost me around $80. I'll get a tour at the schools. Will it the tour be the same as when we're interviewing anyways or is it good to get some exposure beforehand?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. guitarologist

guitarologist class of 2012
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It depends...

First of all, how many schools are you visiting for $80? I guess I'm asking, why $80?

Second, how far are these schools from where you reside? If it is out of the way, it isn't worth the hassle. You will get a sufficient tour on your interview day.

Third, are you visiting to decide whether or not to apply?

If you know you are going to apply to a specific school regardless, there is no need to visit, as it will only make sense to take a tour of the schools that offer you an interview. However, if you are trying to decide whether or not to apply, the school isn't out of the way, and the cost isn't crazy, then go for it.

4. TheElement

TheElement Being Lazzy
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yeah the expenses are for getting from Dallas to Houston. I'll be visiting two of the medical schools there. I'm sure I'll be applying to all the schools in Texas regardless so the trip would just be used to get some early exposure.

5. chad5871

Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    I visited about 13 schools during my spring break this past year to get a feel for where I might be applying. It was an extremely useful trip and I would highly recommend it if you can afford it. I think it's really important to not only evaluate the school's facilities, but also to evaluate the location of the school. For example, after visiting Temple in Philadelphia I have decided definitely not to apply - I could not see myself in that area for four years of my life.

6. kenmc3

kenmc3 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I say no, wait to get an interview invitation otherwise the visit will be moot and your money poorly spent. I think the interview will give you a good appreciation for the school and you can always go back for a second look after.

7. lord_jeebus

lord_jeebus 和魂洋才
    Moderator Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yeah, save the money for second looks when you have acceptances. You'll be able to focus on the key schools, and make direct comparisons.

8. 186321

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Its up to you. And honestly, $80 in the grand scheme of this whole application process is peanuts. I would personally do it but maybe bring a buddy along and make a trip out of it.

9. chr123

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you're applying this year, then I wouldn't do it. You'll probably be making the same drive 3 times this fall for interviews and it gets old real fast.

10. Jolie South

Jolie South is invoking Domo. . .
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    yep, and it would suck to fall in love with a school and then not even get offered an interview.

i'd save the money for second looks as another poster suggested.

11. TheRealMD

TheRealMD "The Mac Guy"
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    You'll be rather bored during your interview day. Save your money.