Is it worth the risk to appy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vberries

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm planning to take the DAT for the first time in mid June. My GPA is not great (only 3.3). I really want to go to dental school asap, but should take the risk and apply this cycle or should I wait another year? Does anyone know what average DAT score is good with my current GPA? Not too picky with schools (but hoping for one in CA). I would greatly appreciate any advice or comments. Thankyou.

Members don't see this ad.

Sure. Your GPA is not super, it's a little below average. You can make it up if you have a strong showing on the DAT.

You should have a decent shot if you can get 20 or better in AA and TS... and PAT if you want a shot at UOP... haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. A big thanks to those who replied so far. I do realized my dilemma. Do you guys think that I'll get a better chance at getting in if I sit out for a year and take college classes to boost up my GPA? I'm from a low income family therefore, I can't reapply too many times. Thanks

i had a 2.9 last year and i almost applied but i didnt. i took some classes and boosted it to a 3.1 and im applying this year and taking my DAT end of june.

grades dont mean much. its a factor out of many

i'd wait to boost the gpa and spend more time to study for the DAT. but if you want to you can, but if i were you i'd wait to boost the gpa and then have a year in btw to gain more experience and more job shadowing & extracurriculars to add to your app.

Well... you cant get in if you dont apply. I realize money is an issue (as it was for me), but think about it this way: if you do get accepted, you will go in to a TON of debt in a hurry... so what's another little chunk of money in the long run? Also, consider the fact that if you do get in this cycle... that's an extra year of income in your dental career. You've gotta put in the effort and money if you want a shot.. that's just the way it is.

I got in this past cycle with a 3.3 and 19 DAT.

Your GPA isn't bad, you have a real shot of getting in as long as you have decent ECs and get a good DAT. Don't wait the extra year.