Is it worth the time/money/effort? GPA Question..

t2oo5

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Ok, heres my scenario: I am at a decent pre-medical school (usually>80% medschool acceptance but not ivyleague), majoring in a biochemistry/premedical track. I am going into my second year. Unfortuantely my GPA rests at a 3.33 (3.17 first semester and 3.50 second). I really want to get accepted into a MD school. Partially why this is so low is because I didnt do well in math, I got B's for precalc and calculus. Now, at 4 credits a piece, they are weighted at about 1/4 of my GPA as a freshman. Is it worth it to retake the courses? I mean, precalc would now be an insanely easy A for me, and if I were to buckle down next summer and focus my full attention on Calc, I could pull off an A. I chose these two courses because they basically were the worst for how heavily weighted they were. My schools policy: if you retake the course, it shows up on the transcript that you took the course twice, both grades, but only the most recent grade will be calculated in the GPA. This will bump my GPA from a 3.33--> to a 3.57. Then, I figure this is a much better base for a first year to builid apon and maintain at least a ~3.7 post freshman year. Questions: 1) How bad will this look on my transcript. 2) Is it worth it?? I certainly think so, but I have had different advice.
Thanks!

rcd

.2K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2004
Status
Pre-Medical
t2oo5 said:
Ok, heres my scenario: I am at a decent pre-medical school (usually>80% medschool acceptance but not ivyleague), majoring in a biochemistry/premedical track. I am going into my second year. Unfortuantely my GPA rests at a 3.33 (3.17 first semester and 3.50 second). I really want to get accepted into a MD school. Partially why this is so low is because I didnt do well in math, I got B's for precalc and calculus. Now, at 4 credits a piece, they are weighted at about 1/4 of my GPA as a freshman. Is it worth it to retake the courses? I mean, precalc would now be an insanely easy A for me, and if I were to buckle down next summer and focus my full attention on Calc, I could pull off an A. I chose these two courses because they basically were the worst for how heavily weighted they were. My schools policy: if you retake the course, it shows up on the transcript that you took the course twice, both grades, but only the most recent grade will be calculated in the GPA. This will bump my GPA from a 3.33--> to a 3.57. Then, I figure this is a much better base for a first year to builid apon and maintain at least a ~3.7 post freshman year. Questions: 1) How bad will this look on my transcript. 2) Is it worth it?? I certainly think so, but I have had different advice.
Thanks!
:confused: Bs? You'll be ok, unless you have something against sandy beaches and pirates like Johnny Depp. Seriously though, nobody's perfect, move on. Show an upward trend and you're golden.

AppleseedCast

10+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
t2oo5 said:
Thanks!

dude, you need to chill out. Just keep trying your hardest and that's all you can ask of yourself. If you have a passion for helping people via medicine, it will work out. Just keep treading forward. I personally would not retake the class. AMCAS will not just use your school's calculation of your gpa. They have their own method of calculating it, and retakes are averaged with the original grade. So it will barely affect your grade. Just keep studying hard and get better grades the next few semesters.

About the Ads

jstuds_66

Free cat to a good home
10+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
USA
Status
Attending Physician
Dido. Chilll out. You'll be okay if you keep trying.

Rafa

headbutts like zidane
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2006
the internets
dailywarnews.blogspot.com
Status
Pre-Medical
No, it's not worth it. Give up now as a sophomore, because it's impossible to raise a 3.3 GPA over four semesters before the end of your Junior year. It's wholly and completely impossible. Don't spoil your school's high matriculation rate by applying.

Hey, if he's this worked up, maybe he needs the cold water of a full on e-smack to the head.

Phillyborn

illadelphia
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
jstuds_66 said:
Dido. Chilll out. You'll be okay if you keep trying.
Just to clarify, AMCAS uses both grades when you retake correct? Or more accurately, averages the grades and doubles the credits? So basically both classes count. Is that right?

If so, their is no reason why you should retake (They're only B's anyways). You still have lots of time.

halekulani

10+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2006
Status
Medical Student
there's no reason to retake courses you've gotten B's in. You're only going to be a sophmore.

OP
T

t2oo5

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Thanks for the advice. I certainly see where you guys are coming from, but at the same time can you see where I am coming from? I mean, for me, going into sophomore year with a 3.57 just is mentally more stable and optimistic than a 3.33. Its kind of the mindset, and you have to admit, a quarter of a point is a lot for two classes, and given one is very, very simple.. My concern was if it would look bad on a transcript to retake a course.
Thanks again

MedStudentWanna

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2006
Status
t2oo5 said:
Thanks for the advice. I certainly see where you guys are coming from, but at the same time can you see where I am coming from? I mean, for me, going into sophomore year with a 3.57 just is mentally more stable and optimistic than a 3.33. Its kind of the mindset, and you have to admit, a quarter of a point is a lot for two classes, and given one is very, very simple.. My concern was if it would look bad on a transcript to retake a course.
Thanks again
I think it would look neurotic to retake a course you got a B in. Not to mention if you retook it and ended up with a B again. I have a friend who retook Calc because she got a C and she ended up with another C. It looks horrible and there's nothing she can do to get it off her transcript.

ssefase

10+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2006
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
i had the exact same gpa going into my 2nd year and I got a B- in my Calculus I class hahaha. Anyway, I'm starting my third year now with a 3.61. And as mentioned above, I wouldn't suggest retaking it. Best you could end up with is a B+/A- average in that class, and that is really not going to help that much. Just do well on your classes next year.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
Retaking a course in which you earned a B is a huge waste of time & money. Don't do it.

A 3.33 is a B+ average which is PERFECT upon finishing your freshman year because it positions you to have a rise in gpa over time. Adcoms love this. You get a 3.67 your sophomore year, and a 3.89 your junior year and you look fabulous when the adcom looks at your gpa broken out by year (which they do, it is how it is reported on AMCAS). Stop worrying about the past and focus on acing those O-Chem classes!

:luck:

About the Ads