Is it worth the time trying to memorize NMR and IR signals?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CherryBlossom1412

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think? I feel like there's no way to memorize all the signals for NMR and IR. :(((( Is this topic very important on DAT?

Members don't see this ad.

it showed up on my version. I had 2-3 questions on it. It was pretty straightforward though. I suggest making flashcards for the most common signals like carbonyl signals and -OH signals ect. HNMR is pretty important too and CNMR. All showed up on mine.

Members don't see this ad :)
as you progressively do OC practice, it'll get repetitive and you'll memorize most of the signals. Destroyer has plenty of these questions and you get use to them. These questions are easy points in my opinion

Reactions: 1 users
What do you guys think? I feel like there's no way to memorize all the signals for NMR and IR. :(((( Is this topic very important on DAT?
Yes, indeed. NMR, IR, and lab techniques are an integral part of Organic Chemistry and will be tested on the DAT. I have put in DESTROYER all the tests, and numerical Spectroscopic " landmarks " that you will need to know.

Dr. Romano

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, I had to identify both NMR & IR on my exam just a couple days ago.

NRM - I was given just signals in numbers
IR - I was given an actual graph

yes. use chad's videos to learn what you should know for these topics. then do destroyer problems

practice the questions on destroyer and youll be good. Also, on one of the bootcamp tests, there was a question on NMR and dr. Mike does an awesome video on NMR and it helped me understand it.

Yes, indeed. NMR, IR, and lab techniques are an integral part of Organic Chemistry and will be tested on the DAT. I have put in DESTROYER all the tests, and numerical Spectroscopic " landmarks " that you will need to know.

Dr. Romano
oh thanks so much! I bought math and dat destroyer and i just finished reviewing ochem so I'll start the practice test now :)

Mike does an awesome video on NMR and it helped me understand it.

+1 for Mike's videos with this. Going through destroyer, I have been able to get all of the NMR and IR questions right and I really don't know exactly the numbers where things appear.

I've just been remembering that higher energy groups cause things to move to the left with NMR and a few little facts with IR. You definitely don't need to memorize the huge tables of what everything means. Mike's videos does a great job of minimizing the things you need to remember.

I've just been remembering that higher energy groups cause things to move to the left with NMR

I don't know what you mean by higher energy groups, but just remember the double Ds. Downfield = deshielded = electron-withdrawing.

I don't know what you mean by higher energy groups, but just remember the double Ds. Downfield = deshielded = electron-withdrawing.
You're right, bad description on my part. What I mean by that is mostly relating to ketones, aldehydes, and carboxylic acids. The C or H NMR for those groups are to the left.