Mar 31, 2010
Status
My GPA used to be a 3.2 because most of my classes I received B's in. It dropped to 2.98 last semester because I got C's in organic. But I don't know if I should repeat organic because my `chem score on the pcat was a 93% and second time a 85% in the chemistry subsection. My overall score was in the 65% because my reading and verbal dragged those down.

Should I retake the classes with a C (uggh orgo lab is 6 hours) or should I also retake the classes with a B- ?

Bio 1: B (lab B-)
Bio 2: B+ (lab B)

Chem 1: B (lab B+)
Chem 2: B- (lab B+)

Organic 1: B (lab C)
Organic 2: C (lab C)

Calculus 1: B
Statistics: A

phathead

Future World Drug Lord
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2009
Status
Pharmacy Student
For one, it depends on the pharm school. Some schools won't allow retakes, others average the two grades and others will take the most recent one only.

That being said, with your PCAT sub score, your grades aren't terribly bad.

If you were going to retake one class I would say the Orgo II, but I'm really not certain you would need to retake anything depending on what the rest of your stats are like.

rxlea

Almost a unicorn
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
I would retake Orgo II. You just need to be awesome from here on out.

Passion4Sci

LML
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
Status
Pharmacy Student
2.98 and 65th percentile PCAT is bargain basement... unless you have some other really good softs to help you.

Retake Orgo 2 and accept nothing less than a B+...

samurai361

10+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2007
Status
So how important do you guys think orgo is to the adcoms? How impt is orgo overall compared to the big picture? Does it get separate "face time"?

Monalyce

PharmD-to-be in 2013!
10+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Status
Pharmacy Student
So how important do you guys think orgo is to the adcoms? How impt is orgo overall compared to the big picture? Does it get separate "face time"?
A "C" in orgo isn't such a problem if it is an isolated anomaly...but it's likely to lead to poor results in classes like biochem. My biggest concern here is the downward trend in grades.

rxlea

Almost a unicorn
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
Some schools weigh it more heavily in others. My pharm school takes nothing less than a B in both orgos and both A&Ps. There are some that look at your chemistry subscore on the PCAT. You really should contact the schools you are interested in and see what they have to say about it. I am with Monalyce on this. The downward trend in your biggest worry.

Ji the Captain

The Unbreakable
5+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2009
www.facebook.com
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
My GPA used to be a 3.2 because most of my classes I received B's in. It dropped to 2.98 last semester because I got C's in organic. But I don't know if I should repeat organic because my `chem score on the pcat was a 93% and second time a 85% in the chemistry subsection. My overall score was in the 65% because my reading and verbal dragged those down.

Should I retake the classes with a C (uggh orgo lab is 6 hours) or should I also retake the classes with a B- ?

Bio 1: B (lab B-)
Bio 2: B+ (lab B)

Chem 1: B (lab B+)
Chem 2: B- (lab B+)

Organic 1: B (lab C)
Organic 2: C (lab C)

Calculus 1: B
Statistics: A
damn bro. my school wont even let u retake any class if u didnt recieve at least a c on it

JBudege

Removed
Apr 12, 2010
Status
Pharmacy Student
A "C" in orgo isn't such a problem if it is an isolated anomaly...but it's likely to lead to poor results in classes like biochem. My biggest concern here is the downward trend in grades.
thats going to be a killer