Is it worth to retake a class with a B-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmtobe123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My GPA used to be a 3.2 because most of my classes I received B's in. It dropped to 2.98 last semester because I got C's in organic. But I don't know if I should repeat organic because my `chem score on the pcat was a 93% and second time a 85% in the chemistry subsection. My overall score was in the 65% because my reading and verbal dragged those down.

Should I retake the classes with a C (uggh orgo lab is 6 hours) or should I also retake the classes with a B- ?

Bio 1: B (lab B-)
Bio 2: B+ (lab B)

Chem 1: B (lab B+)
Chem 2: B- (lab B+)

Organic 1: B (lab C)
Organic 2: C (lab C)

Calculus 1: B
Statistics: A

Members don't see this ad.

For one, it depends on the pharm school. Some schools won't allow retakes, others average the two grades and others will take the most recent one only.

That being said, with your PCAT sub score, your grades aren't terribly bad.

If you were going to retake one class I would say the Orgo II, but I'm really not certain you would need to retake anything depending on what the rest of your stats are like.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would retake Orgo II. You just need to be awesome from here on out.

Agreed. You may want to retake that PCAT and aim for higher reading/vocab scores. I would recommend purchasing the Dr. Collins PCAT prep guide at http://www.pcatprepclass.com/ . It will help you exponentially.

2.98 and 65th percentile PCAT is bargain basement... unless you have some other really good softs to help you.

Retake Orgo 2 and accept nothing less than a B+...

So how important do you guys think orgo is to the adcoms? How impt is orgo overall compared to the big picture? Does it get separate "face time"?

So how important do you guys think orgo is to the adcoms? How impt is orgo overall compared to the big picture? Does it get separate "face time"?

A "C" in orgo isn't such a problem if it is an isolated anomaly...but it's likely to lead to poor results in classes like biochem. My biggest concern here is the downward trend in grades.

Some schools weigh it more heavily in others. My pharm school takes nothing less than a B in both orgos and both A&Ps. There are some that look at your chemistry subscore on the PCAT. You really should contact the schools you are interested in and see what they have to say about it. I am with Monalyce on this. The downward trend in your biggest worry.

My GPA used to be a 3.2 because most of my classes I received B's in. It dropped to 2.98 last semester because I got C's in organic. But I don't know if I should repeat organic because my `chem score on the pcat was a 93% and second time a 85% in the chemistry subsection. My overall score was in the 65% because my reading and verbal dragged those down.

Should I retake the classes with a C (uggh orgo lab is 6 hours) or should I also retake the classes with a B- ?

Bio 1: B (lab B-)
Bio 2: B+ (lab B)

Chem 1: B (lab B+)
Chem 2: B- (lab B+)

Organic 1: B (lab C)
Organic 2: C (lab C)

Calculus 1: B
Statistics: A

damn bro. my school wont even let u retake any class if u didnt recieve at least a c on it

A "C" in orgo isn't such a problem if it is an isolated anomaly...but it's likely to lead to poor results in classes like biochem. My biggest concern here is the downward trend in grades.

thats going to be a killer