is it worth traveling 2 hrs back and forth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wlee43

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
for hospital volunteering during summer or should i just wait until school year to volunteer at my school hospital

Members don't see this ad.

Volunteering isn't worth traveling back and forth that much. I would wait.

Members don't see this ad :)
The nearest hospital is an hour away? If I was in your situation, I'd hope to not fall sick there anytime soon..

The nearest hospital is an hour away? If I was in your situation, I'd hope to not fall sick there anytime soon..

that was the only place offering volunteering program. other hospitals never responded

Take it from somebody who is doing this currently (for summer school) it is not worth it unless absolutely necessary. I'm taking my gen chem stuff 2 hours away and the drive wears on you. Plus I go through about 30 dollars in gas EVERY DAY. Its about 120 dollars a week. I wouldn't be doing it but if I don't do it now, I can't take orgo in the fall.

IMHO hospital volunteering isn't worth it. If you don't have any other medical volunteering try looking elsewhere in your community.

that was the only place offering volunteering program. other hospitals never responded

Look harder...call more hospitals. Literally EVERY SINGLE HOSPITAL that I have researched in my state has a volunteer program. Make some calls and be super nice, but persistent. GL

Not worth the drive. Are there any free clinics near your house?

I had the same problem as you and I decided I'd rather wait until the fall to volunteer.

Try local soup kitchens or whatever charity organizations are in your area.

Those 2 hours of driving would be much better spent helping the poor than burning a crapload of gas.

He can get that when he gets back to school. If he really can't find a hospital near him to volunteer at, then getting non clinical volunteer work in is a better option.
Sure, but only if he can't find clinical volunteering opportunities anywhere nearby, the search for which shouldn't end at hospitals.