Is JCO Review for Biology comprehensive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leaveit2rani

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have all the review materials at my disposal: EK, BR, TPR, etc. I was using BR, but it was boring me like crazy and decided to buy Chad's Videos (which are great, and I definitely recommend them!) as I felt the physical sciences and organic chem should be understood and applied using intuition.

Problem now, is I am almost done with Chad's Videos and I haven't done much biology. I really like the video learning as it doesn't bore me as much. JCO is the only one I know that has a full set for bio so far. Does anyone think it is comprehensive enough for the MCAT? Or should I read a book like EK, BR, or TPR?

Members don't see this ad.

jco also offers printable notes too. i think they give you what you need to know for bio which isnt much, since it seems liek most of bio is critical thinking for the mcat..

fyi~ chad is starting to upload his bio videos, he also provides outlines with his.

fyi~ chad is starting to upload his bio videos, he also provides outlines with his.

Wow good call. Had no idea this was coming. Given the quality of his chem vids, these could likely be very worthwhile and helpful.
A few things:
-For some reason, all his uploaded bio videos appear to be playable for free at the moment. I'm assuming this is not permanent. Anyone got any idea about this?
-I was strongly considering getting the JCo videos, but with this news I am obviously reconsidering. Im assuming not, but just for the heck of it- does anyone know if this videos are any good/comparable to his chem ones?
-I noticed that only some bio topics were uploaded. Are they all getting uploaded and this actual moment or has it been like this the past few days (and does anyone know when the rest will be up)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow good call. Had no idea this was coming. Given the quality of his chem vids, these could likely be very worthwhile and helpful.
A few things:
-For some reason, all his uploaded bio videos appear to be playable for free at the moment. I'm assuming this is not permanent. Anyone got any idea about this?
-I was strongly considering getting the JCo videos, but with this news I am obviously reconsidering. Im assuming not, but just for the heck of it- does anyone know if this videos are any good/comparable to his chem ones?
-I noticed that only some bio topics were uploaded. Are they all getting uploaded and this actual moment or has it been like this the past few days (and does anyone know when the rest will be up)?

I haven't checked out Chad's bio videos yet, but I did read his posts on the forums over there and he said that the bio videos will be free for now while he is uploading/editing them over the summer.

As for the physio vids (which I was most interested in seeing) they won't be completed until the end of the summer according to him because of some editing problems.

Hope this helps, like I said more detailed info on the status of the current and future videos are on the forums over on his website.

Does Jco biology videos give you a grasp of all the ideas from your introductory to biology courses?

Does Jco biology videos give you a grasp of all the ideas from your introductory to biology courses?

As the poster above you mentioned, check the forums. I just looked through them and Chad explains what the deal is with the videos (content, accessibility, etc).

^^Thanks for the info!

And just for the record, from his posts in the forums about the bio videos, you could clearly tell that Chad is a very good guy who has our best interests in mind.

I used the JCO videos during my last month to give me another way to review as I was pretty sick of reading and had already done all the BR books w/ TPRH Bio. I watched about 5 review videos per review day (5-6 min per video = ~30 min/day). By test time I had watched about 30-40% of them to target my weaknesses.

I would recommend them and wish I would have started using them from 3 months out. They are pretty good and to the point. The videos are 2-10 min each so you can hit specific areas in a short amount of time. However, they are a supplement at best. You are not going to "learn physics" from scratch with these videos. If you are going all out on your prep, use them daily from the get go to help cement the material. If you don't like books and hoping for a quick content fix then they aren't going to do it. Sometimes seeing a reaction in Ochem or principle in physics can really make it stick in your memory, and JCO is good for this.

If you are doing the SN2ed schedule or a variant of it, watching the corresponding videos with your chapter on review days instead of rereading, and rewatching specific ones as needed during the last month could be a valuable way to rework the schedule.