Is July MCAT too late for SUNY Downstate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EphemeralRose3

I try
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've had a pretty difficult year. Originally, I planned to take the May MCAT, but I had to change it to July (I couldn't get the June seat)

My GPA is approx. a 3.8 and I have good extracurriculars (240+ hrs medical assistant, 200 hrs in ER, 2 summers research assistant, president of club, 3 years tour guide, won multiple awards in college, shadowing multiple specialties doing a SURP this summer, honors program), amazing LORs and a decent PS.

I'm expecting a 31 on the July MCAT. And, Downstate is my absolute top choice for medical school. Is taking the MCAT in July hurt my chances at that specific school? I did a search for this specific question and I don't seem to get an answer, and I'm not sure if I posted this question in the correct sub-forum, but please forgive me.

I'd really appreciate it if current Downstate students weighed in. Thank you all for your help and continued support! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Someone at Downstate has once told me that as long as it was taken by September it would not hurt.

Sent from my PG86100 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
There's no way that all three of you having Grey's Anatomy avatars is a total coincidence

There's no way that all three of you having Grey's Anatomy avatars is a total coincidence

haha wow, thats weird

A July MCAT date should be ok. Just make sure you are very proactive about letting Downstate know they are your top choice school.