Is June 15th too late to take the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yungdoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is June 15th too late to take the MCAT to apply this cycle (with a decent chance of getting interviews)?

I took today's MCAT and fear I did so poorly on CARS that I'll have to retake.

I averaged a 516 on the AAMC full-lengths but consistently under-performed on CARS.

Members don't see this ad.

Is June 15th too late to take the MCAT to apply this cycle (with a decent chance of getting interviews)?

I took today's MCAT and fear I did so poorly on CARS that I'll have to retake.

I averaged a 516 on the AAMC full-lengths but consistently under-performed on CARS.
Chances are, you performed at the the same level as you did on the practice tests. As long as that is >124, you shouldn’t have to retake.

If it helps, I felt like my performance on real deal was worse than my worst practice test, but came out with a good score. If you want to register for the June 15th then that is not too late, but don’t doubt yourself until you see your performance.

Reactions: 1 user
It depends. If you become Complete at all your schools, with the Secondary and supplemental elements all submitted by Labor Day, you'll have applied "on time." Whether you can do this will depend on when you submit the Primary, how long it takes to get it verified, how quickly Secondary invitations come to you, and how fast you can return them.

What is your plan?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It depends. If you become Complete at all your schools, with the Secondary and supplemental elements all submitted by Labor Day, you'll have applied "on time." Whether you can do this will depend on when you submit the Primary, how long it takes to get it verified, how quickly Secondary invitations come to you, and how fast you can return them.

What is your plan?

I am fine with prewriting all my secondaries and sending them out as soon as I am invited to do so by schools. I will have my primary ready to go by mid June (with or without today's MCAT score) and will spend the rest of my time prewriting secondaries.

I just wanted to know how screwed I would be by taking the MCAT June 15th

Thank you!

Chances are, you performed at the the same level as you did on the practice tests. As long as that is >124, you shouldn’t have to retake.

If it helps, I felt like my performance on real deal was worse than my worst practice test, but came out with a good score. If you want to register for the June 15th then that is not too late, but don’t doubt yourself until you see your performance.

I was averaging like 126.5 on my practice exam CARS but I actually felt really confident about how I did each time, like I always felt like I had a good idea where the passage was going and I felt confident in my answers even though my scores weren't spectacular. I just really feel like I did REALLY REALLY bad on today's CARS.

I will continue prepping in case I need to retake June 15th

UGHHH I was so excited to be done with this

I was averaging like 126.5 on my practice exam CARS but I actually felt really confident about how I did each time, like I always felt like I had a good idea where the passage was going and I felt confident in my answers even though my scores weren't spectacular. I just really feel like I did REALLY REALLY bad on today's CARS.

I will continue prepping in case I need to retake June 15th

UGHHH I was so excited to be done with this
Don’t worry, that excitement will go away the moment the even more stressful application is your focus

I took my MCAT July 7th last year and submitted my primary to only one school as my throwaway to get verified. I thought I bombed CARS too and did right about where I was expecting. You tend to focus on the negatives after actual big exams, I know I did, and I felt like I should've retaken it. I trusted my gut and got in the ball park of my practice exams which I was happy about.

I submitted most of my secondaries in the third/fourth week of August to get it in "on time" before Labor Day, of the 12 I submitted, I got 6 interviews. I also submitted to a few schools in October and got 1 interview from this batch. All in all, 3 acceptances, 3 WL, 1 R.

Reactions: 4 users
I took my MCAT July 7th last year and submitted my primary to only one school as my throwaway to get verified.
OP, this would be a good strategy for you, too. If you feel you need to retake the MCAT, go back into the application and change the date of your latest MCAT take date.
1) I am fine with prewriting all my secondaries and sending them out as soon as I am invited to do so by schools.
I will have my primary ready to go by mid June (with or without today's MCAT score) and will spend the rest of my time prewriting secondaries.

2) I just wanted to know how screwed I would be by taking the MCAT June 15th
1) Have you reviewed your potential school application list to see how many automatically send out Secondary invitations immediately, vs a few weeks later after screening for desired parameters? Keep in mind that your list may shift up or down in "selectivity" depending on your MCAT score. So it should include broader range than you'd actually apply to.

2) You won't be.