is kaplan blue book really good enogh?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joonkimdds

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I basically read the entire thing from Kaplan blue book general chemistry section.

I am going over each problem one by one and it seems everything is very easy to me now. :D

after i finished kaplan blue book test, I looked at the DAT destroyer and it was at least 5~9 times harder i believe. I can't even solve 1 single problem! :eek:

have u guys ever tried DAT destroyer? well...if i can master the dat destroyer problems, I bet i can become chemistry genius. I thought I was chemistry genius with kaplan blue book problems but now....nah...i m noone.
I lost my self-esteem after looking at DAT destroyer problems.

is kaplan blue book really good enough? or should i master DAT destroyer?

Members don't see this ad.

Kaplan material is enough but you need to know how to do more problems than they give. Buy Schaums college chem outline, that has hard problems. Problems on dat are not that bad but every person tests differently and every test is different.

bjord146 said:
Kaplan material is enough but you need to know how to do more problems than they give. Buy Schaums college chem outline, that has hard problems. Problems on dat are not that bad but every person tests differently and every test is different.

Is Schaums good? cuz i read many posts that say they have Schaum but never read :eek: I don't know why so many ppl say they have it but they didn't use it to study :confused: does that mean it's known as a good book but much harder than actual DAT so basically useless?

i am using schaum for gen chem and it as a lot of good practice questions. it explains things better than kaplan. i printed the whole book and there are a lot of stuff that is not covered in the dat, so if you want to use it then you don't have to answer every question at the end of each chapter.

Members don't see this ad :)
i agee with bjord. all i studied was kaplan and topscore, and i knew all of kaplan down cold. nonetheless, there were still questions on the DAT that had me like wtf??? the content of the questions were something that i knew, but the DAT would throw in a couple of words that i never heard of that would totally throw me off. so yeah, i think getting your hands on as many questions as possible is the best route AFTER you've mastered one of the kaplan review books.

vize said:
i agee with bjord. all i studied was kaplan and topscore, and i knew all of kaplan down cold. nonetheless, there were still questions on the DAT that had me like wtf??? the content of the questions were something that i knew, but the DAT would throw in a couple of words that i never heard of that would totally throw me off. so yeah, i think getting your hands on as many questions as possible is the best route AFTER you've mastered one of the kaplan review books.

since i mastered kaplan blue book, should i get Schaum?
and if i finish Schaum, i go for another book? like that?

mmm i'm not really sure cuz i never had schaum's... is it just another outline/review book but in more detail? i guess it depends on how much time you have.. i didn't have that much time so i couldn't go over anymore outline material. if you still have weeks ahead before taking the test then yeah schaums would be good... just make sure you don't neglect getting more exposure to questions/answers!

vize said:
mmm i'm not really sure cuz i never had schaum's... is it just another outline/review book but in more detail? i guess it depends on how much time you have.. i didn't have that much time so i couldn't go over anymore outline material. if you still have weeks ahead before taking the test then yeah schaums would be good... just make sure you don't neglect getting more exposure to questions/answers!

I have more than a year ahead before taking the test, so....thank you and i will buy schaums :love:

I can't seem to find the correct book for chemistry from schaums. If you know which one is it. please provide the ISBN number or link to amazon.com. THANKS!

Smooth Operater said:
I can't seem to find the correct book for chemistry from schaums. If you know which one is it. please provide the ISBN number or link to amazon.com. THANKS!

i found it from a book store. not sure about ISBN number.

vize said:

People keep mentioning that Kaplan is skimpy in some areas. Which areas do you think I should get another book to cover.