Is Kaplan VR easier or harder than AAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grburst

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there's a sentiment that it's not reflective of the AAMC's verbal. In which way -- generally easier or harder?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure about AAMC but the ExamKrackers VR sections have been a lot harder than the Kaplan ones. Is that normal?

Kaplan verbal is not representative of AAMC at all. Totally different style/approach. I would advise that you don't do them. EK and TPRH are way better prep.

Members don't see this ad :)
TPRH verbal workbook is way better than Kaplan. If you can get that an the EK 101 passages and EK verbal book you will do well. Use the EK strategy from the EK Verbal and math book and then practice with TPRH VR and EK.

Kaplan VR is nothing like MCAT Verbal. They are much more detail oriented, so they can be easier. If you want to do Kaplan's VR, do so to practice speed reading and get your timing down.

I personally felt that after AAMC, TPRH was the most representative of the actual test. I thought that EK was slightly harder than the real thing.

I know there's a sentiment that it's not reflective of the AAMC's verbal. In which way -- generally easier or harder?

It's not the difficulty so much as it is the structure of the passages and the questions do not train you well to answer questions the way AAMC wants you to. I found that the passages lacked the ambiguity that makes AAMC so difficult and instead were just packed with junk. The questions asked you to sift through junk and recall details more than they asked you to get the main idea amidst a lot of seemingly disconnected ideas, as AAMC passages do.

With that said, I was horrible at sifting through junk and sitting through Kaplan VR section tests made me much better at picking up details. That skill will scrounge you at least a few answers on every verbal section I've attempted, at least. Use the Kaplan tests but treat them as a way to keep your brain in shape to read critically more than as a way to improve specifically at AAMC verbal.

Try EK's Verbal Book with Kaplan's verbal strategies. The two are magic together (12 VR average on 12 Kaplan/AAMC practice exams).