is kaplan worth $1500 just for the cbts? secret books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureCaringMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok so a lot of people are suggesting kaplans practice test. dont you have to pay for the full course to get access to these? is it worth paying 1500 just to have acces to practice exams?

also how are you guys getting princeton books and kaplan books without signing up for the course. is there a secret underground i dont know about that sells just the books?

i want all these books too! how do i get them?

thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Unless the secret underground includes Amazon and Borders, then no. There are two different types of books Kaplan and TPR offer. One set is exclusive to their class, another is not. The book that isn't is usually a big book with everything. I've heard TPR's Science Workbook is good, but outside of that, I think there are better options (i.e. a combo of Berkeley Review and EK).

No, I would not pay $1500ish for some practice tests. Some good practice tests that aren't tied to a class are:

1. AAMC
2. Berekely Review
3. Gold Standard

EK's practice FLs are pretty bad as a practice FL. If you treat it like another set of problems, then they're decent. With Gold Standard, not that many people have used their FLs, but the ones that have generally say good things.

To start with, get the materials you listed previously:

ek bio and 1001 passages,
ek verbal and EK 101 Verbal
br physics
br ochem
br general chem
8 aamc cbts

For verbal, you would be fine with just EK 101 Verbal. That is the important book, EK verbal by itself isn't that great. Yes, it has techniques and a few passages, but it's not nearly as vital as EK 101 Verbal. You can easily find verbal techniques on here.

Next, when did you want to start studying and what year are you or have you graduated. Lastly, do not worry about applying. It doesn't matter how early you apply if your MCAT is bad.

I thought a class in general was worth it, with classes and everything else going on junior year, it forced me to put 10-12 hours per week into studying only for the MCAT, something I wouldn't have otherwise been able to do.
This might be the wrong thread for this comment, but for all my experience with MCAT prep classes, Princeton has a far better program - individually trained instructors in each subject - if you do want to sink money into a class.