Is Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine College of Pharmacy - Erie Campus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ptsome110

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine College of Pharmacy - Erie Campus Good?

I can't find anybody who graduated from there.
I'm wondering if I went there what my prospect for getting a job would be.
Also I'm wondering if it is hard to get rotations?

I heard that you don't get rotation placement so you finish a year early but can not sit for the board till you finish the ___ hours of rotation. So after studying really hard for 3 yrs you have to work to meet the NAPLEX requirements at a pharm tech payscale.

Any thoughts / feedback???

thank

Members don't see this ad.

the issue is not the NAPLEX, it's the PA intern hours requirement. Basically you need 750 intern hours outside of rotations to become a pharmacist in PA. Some students in 3-year programs cannot find time to do these extra hours. Tip: I believe you can accrue your hours starting the summer before pharmacy school, so get that intern registration in ASAP. I don't see how a school would be allowed to exist if it didn't provide the students required material to sit for the NAPLEX.

Cannot speak on quality of LECOM education. They appear to have good OTC knowledge, as they placed first at the PPA OTC competition last weekend. Otherwise, I'm not sure, lots of LECOM posters on this board so you can ask them.

The education is fine. It is an accredited institution. If you are looking for employment in the Erie area after graduating, FORGET IT! unless you know someone.

As far as finding rotations we had all that kind of turned on its head. They are trying out a new spin for rotations. I have no idea how other schools organize their rotations for their students, but LECOM in Erie is still trying to figure out how to do it without putting money into it. Our experiential administrator is so overwhelmed right now it is disgusting. She is constantly telling us NOT to send her e-mails because her work load is too much. I don't think they have anyone that works on it full time. She teaches classes as well. Her two "assistants" are actually secretaries for all the other professors as well. I would like to know what my third year tuition dollars are spent on.

Bottom line at LECOM, Erie. They pride themselves in being inexpensive. That is there excuse for just about everything. "no water in class or in the building because it keeps the tuition low" It is a cheep school, in every sense of the word.

I should tell you that if you are interested in a school for some kind of social life, don't come here. The students are cool but the school offers very little to foster socializing and making friends. There are places in the building that are off limits to students (i.e. the front foyer). Come visit and see the campus for yourself.

I should tell you what I like about the school to let you know that it is not a total loss. #1 3 years. saving a whole year is very cool to me. #2 CHEEP tuition. #3....umm....they have clubs. #4 I am not coming back to the building after july 29th. OH YEAH! #5 I have purchased only three books for the time I have been attending here, I graduate 2012. you don't have to buy the book for every class. #6 all the tests are multiple choice.

hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
The education is fine. It is an accredited institution. If you are looking for employment in the Erie area after graduating, FORGET IT! unless you know someone.

As far as finding rotations we had all that kind of turned on its head. They are trying out a new spin for rotations. I have no idea how other schools organize their rotations for their students, but LECOM in Erie is still trying to figure out how to do it without putting money into it. Our experiential administrator is so overwhelmed right now it is disgusting. She is constantly telling us NOT to send her e-mails because her work load is too much. I don't think they have anyone that works on it full time. She teaches classes as well. Her two "assistants" are actually secretaries for all the other professors as well. I would like to know what my third year tuition dollars are spent on.

Bottom line at LECOM, Erie. They pride themselves in being inexpensive. That is there excuse for just about everything. "no water in class or in the building because it keeps the tuition low" It is a cheep school, in every sense of the word.

I should tell you that if you are interested in a school for some kind of social life, don't come here. The students are cool but the school offers very little to foster socializing and making friends. There are places in the building that are off limits to students (i.e. the front foyer). Come visit and see the campus for yourself.

I should tell you what I like about the school to let you know that it is not a total loss. #1 3 years. saving a whole year is very cool to me. #2 CHEEP tuition. #3....umm....they have clubs. #4 I am not coming back to the building after july 29th. OH YEAH! #5 I have purchased only three books for the time I have been attending here, I graduate 2012. you don't have to buy the book for every class. #6 all the tests are multiple choice.

hope this helps.

A friend of mine got just got into Erie PA. She also applied to Lecom in Florida, Mercer, Howard and Campbell. She has a PCAT score of 96 so she is fairly competitive.

Would you recommend going to Erie PA b/c of the 3 year program and cheap tuition?? or do you think she is better of going to the other 4 schools I listed?

please give me your opinion. Would you attend Erie again if you could go back in time?

If I could go back I would have not turned down the other interviews I had
and looked at other schools. I don't want to say that the school it a totally
bad choice for the cost. You do get what you pay for. Do I recommend coming here?...not really. I am finding that I would like to go from class to class rather than spend all my time in one lecture hall everyday (assigned seating).

I think that saving the extra year is a great thing. If your friend can
handle being constantly treated as thought she is incompetent then she will be
ok here. I don't mind following rules and things, but the constant reminders
and threats of punishment kinda make me feel like I need to look over my shoulder to see who is watching me. When I go to class I get a slight anxious feeling like I am going to be caught for a stupid rule that I am not fully familiar with, or get lectured about what other students have done and how I am responsible for that. I don't like that feeling.

The school has yet to nail a system down for getting rotations in order. If they told her she can do her rotations ANYWHERE she likes,just let her know that it comes with VERY large strings attached.

If you just keep your head down and go through the motions you'll do fine.
Does that help?

Hi DislL, you scare us away from school.:( How serious they say that you can handle your rotation somewhere out of Erie? Is there any help from school? What is the process of Rotation? What are they? Any help to make me feel comfort for my choice would be appreciated! Thanks!