dwgrubbs1s

2+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2015
197
227
Status
Medical Student
Hello all, I would greatly appreciate input from anyone on this question. I had originally scheduled my MCAT for July but had to reschedule it for late August. Due to the same issue, I also had to postpone working on my primary application. It is very close to being done and will be sent in early this week. My question is, is the late august MCAT too late for most DO schools? My stats are: cGPA 3.5, sGPA 3.65, completed all pre requisites besides organic chemistry II & biochemistry (taking both this fall), many hours of ECs and shadowing a DO, currently work as a nurse part time, LOR from 2 science professors and a DO, and will start working on some research with a professor this fall (on invertebrate biology). I listed my stats because I figured stats would play a role in answering this question. Thank you all for your time and appreciate any input!
 

summergirl

7+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2012
946
1,324
Status
Medical Student
It's fine as long as you score within a normal range for your MCAT (I.e. Not something ridiculously low like 490)
 

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
53,593
78,807
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
August is not too late. October isn't either.
 
Apr 25, 2014
1,679
1,025
Florida
Status
Medical Student
By itself if you score decently no; however, not having Organic II and Biochem WHY would you take the MCAT before taking them?

You are not submitting the best app possible and you are risking screwing up the MCAT by rushing it and trying to take it while taking 2 fairly intense courses, both of which are MCAT prep. Any three of these might ruin your chances when you could wait and perhaps even be a good fit for MD. You do realize that the MCAT is hugely Biochem heavy?????

Any legit reason why you don't want to wait to take the MCAT and apply next cycle? You could get shadowing experience w/a DO LOR, take anatomy, etc if you give it a year and give you plenty of time and submit at the cycle start date.

I know this isn't what you want to hear. :)
 
  • Like
Reactions: KYmedic33

KYmedic33

2+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2015
141
170
Illinois
Status
Medical Student
DrMikeP is right. You'll want to take those courses before the MCAT for sure. Take your time and kill those classes, and THEN kill the MCAT. You'll then have some time to volunteer, shadow, or whatever else you decide to do to fill your time.

You'll be a great candidate for medical school if you spread this next year out accordingly and apply next cycle!


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
OP
D

dwgrubbs1s

2+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2015
197
227
Status
Medical Student
Thank you guys for the reply. DrMike P and KYmedic 33, you guys have very valid points. I have been teaching myself the biochemistry portion and the organic chemistry II portion. There is quite a bit of biochemistry on it but luckily (so far) the kaplan review book and some free online biochemistry books seem to be working out (at this point). So far, biology and biochemistry actually seem to be my strongest points on MCAT practice test. ( Ranging from 127-130). My weakest area is the chemical and physical foundations part. General chemistry and some physics are my biggest enemy in those sections. I have made it a point to work on my weak points and have improved in those areas somewhat. Unfortunately I made the mistake of taking the full length AAMC (scored) too early. I took it back in July because I had my MCAT originally scheduled for July 22 . However, I ended up getting a 509 on it (would like to aim a little higher but must be realistic). I am not sure how accurate the score is, but seen most people use it as a marker due to its accuracy. I was surprised to see how thin the Kaplan Organic Chemistry review book was. It seemed to cover predominately everything I learned in organic chemistry I (lab and lecture). There were a couple of things that I had to teach myself but did not seem too vigorous. As far as a legit reason of not waiting, I have many credit hours already. Getting A's in these courses this fall would be great, but would only slightly bump my GPA up. So I do not honestly see myself as having a legitimate chance at most MD schools due to my GPA being lowish. As far as DO schools, I feel that I have a better chance and if the opportunity exist, would like to apply and get in and start next year. Again, thank you guys for your input. If you have any other ideas or thoughts on this subject, feel free to comment. Getting feedback from other pre-med students or medical students is beneficial and helps give different perspectives.
 
Apr 25, 2014
1,679
1,025
Florida
Status
Medical Student
Thank you guys for the reply. DrMike P and KYmedic 33, you guys have very valid points. I have been teaching myself the biochemistry portion and the organic chemistry II portion. There is quite a bit of biochemistry on it but luckily (so far) the kaplan review book and some free online biochemistry books seem to be working out (at this point). So far, biology and biochemistry actually seem to be my strongest points on MCAT practice test. ( Ranging from 127-130). My weakest area is the chemical and physical foundations part. General chemistry and some physics are my biggest enemy in those sections. I have made it a point to work on my weak points and have improved in those areas somewhat. Unfortunately I made the mistake of taking the full length AAMC (scored) too early. I took it back in July because I had my MCAT originally scheduled for July 22 . However, I ended up getting a 509 on it (would like to aim a little higher but must be realistic). I am not sure how accurate the score is, but seen most people use it as a marker due to its accuracy. I was surprised to see how thin the Kaplan Organic Chemistry review book was. It seemed to cover predominately everything I learned in organic chemistry I (lab and lecture). There were a couple of things that I had to teach myself but did not seem too vigorous. As far as a legit reason of not waiting, I have many credit hours already. Getting A's in these courses this fall would be great, but would only slightly bump my GPA up. So I do not honestly see myself as having a legitimate chance at most MD schools due to my GPA being lowish. As far as DO schools, I feel that I have a better chance and if the opportunity exist, would like to apply and get in and start next year. Again, thank you guys for your input. If you have any other ideas or thoughts on this subject, feel free to comment. Getting feedback from other pre-med students or medical students is beneficial and helps give different perspectives.
The goal of many here in giving advice is to help the candidate be as strong as possible when applying. Each person is unique and no one wants every OP to write a dissertation, so much of that advice is based on the limited information given and designed to fit the vast majority of premeds.

OP, If you feel you can do it and do well on the MCAT and classes then ultimately it's up to you as to when you can apply. I'd say applying w/o the courses is a bad decision for 98% of applicants and doing all three things at once is asking for screwing your chances, but if you fall into that 2% that can do it then best of luck!
 
OP
D

dwgrubbs1s

2+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2015
197
227
Status
Medical Student
Received my MCAT score yesterday and got a 507 (126/126/127/128). Would that be a high enough score to apply at this time in the DO cycle?
 
OP
D

dwgrubbs1s

2+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2015
197
227
Status
Medical Student
Currently received several secondaries. Asking before I spend more money and proceed forward. (Also sGPA is 3.71, not sure why I put 3.65). Thank you for your time.
 

FCMike11

7+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2011
1,124
730
Texas
Status
Medical Student
Received my MCAT score yesterday and got a 507 (126/126/127/128). Would that be a high enough score to apply at this time in the DO cycle?
Currently received several secondaries. Asking before I spend more money and proceed forward. (Also sGPA is 3.71, not sure why I put 3.65). Thank you for your time.
Not too late. Your stats are good for any DO school. Lots of threads and anecdotes around about timing (and when are you late) for DO schools.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile
 

Mr. D.O.five

2+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2016
632
469
Status
Medical Student
You are golden for DO. Apply now. I also got my MCAT back yesterday, but I sent out my primary almost a month ago and received a bunch of secondaries today.
 

austintr

5000 candles in the wind
5+ Year Member
May 21, 2014
523
649
Probably the library
Status
Medical Student
Currently received several secondaries. Asking before I spend more money and proceed forward. (Also sGPA is 3.71, not sure why I put 3.65). Thank you for your time.
Start cranking out those secondaries, fellow 507'er! I'm submitting my primary this afternoon with similar stats/healthcare experience...it's def not too late if you apply broadly and smartly!