Is Lifeguarding or Water Safety Instructing Clinical Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I pretty much pool guard at a few community places. Through instructing, I TEACH children how to swim and stay afloat (literally) haha, in water.

The lifeguarding is good, I haven't legitimately had to "save" anyone or anything scary like that. But it is still a good experience nonetheless.

Am I mistaken in considering this to be considered "nonclinical" experience? I feel like it is because they're not really patients but just wanted to make sure. Anyone else do lifeguarding?

Members don't see this ad.

Been there, done that, got the badge. Taught kids and lifeguarded almost every summer from ages 15-22. They aren't patients; it isn't clinical.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Been there, done that, got the badge. Taught kids and lifeguarded almost every summer from ages 15-22. They aren't patients; it isn't clinical.

Thanks!! The mods should close this thread

I work every summer as a lifeguard/EMT. I love it, lifeguarding is truly a public safety career in the agency I work for. We respond to 911 calls practically every day for medical emergencies, watersports injuries, boating accidents, car crashes, the occasional drowning, etc. I feel comfortable using this as paid clinical experience because I'm employed as/perform the duties of an EMT, had to go through an academy, and work under a medical director to treat and transport patients almost every day.

Maybe you could use your position to show that you possess leadership ability by becoming a pool/shift supervisor?

Better yet, beef up your open water skills and come work with us out in California!

Reactions: 1 user
I work every summer as a lifeguard/EMT. I love it, lifeguarding is truly a public safety career in the agency I work for. We respond to 911 calls practically every day for medical emergencies, watersports injuries, boating accidents, car crashes, the occasional drowning, etc. I feel comfortable using this as paid clinical experience because I'm employed as/perform the duties of an EMT, had to go through an academy, and work under a medical director to treat and transport patients almost every day.

Maybe you could use your position to show that you possess leadership ability by becoming a pool/shift supervisor?

Better yet, beef up your open water skills and come work with us out in California!

Haha, thanks for the offer. I'm in FL currently haha. Yeah I suppose in you case it is clinical experience. But for me, it really is just overseeing a bunch of people swim in swimming pools/beaches