Quantcast

Is listening to music while taking practice FL's bad?

Get Shadowing and a Virtual Clinical Education
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dtepper

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heyo. When I take FL's at my library it can get pretty noisy, so I listen to music to drown out the people around me and focus. I get pretty easily distracted by noise (if it's not music). But, I know I should be mimicking the actual MCAT as well as possible. Would it be better to use Ear Plugs and is listening to music terrible to do? Do they have ear plugs available during the MCAT?

Oh yeah, also, I'm taking my test on may 10th which is a saturday at 8 am, and nothing (including my library, the Kaplan center, and various other places I've checked) opens until noon on saturdays. I could take it at my apartment, but I'm trying to get out of my apartment. Do you guys know of anywhere in the Philadelphia area that has public computers available at 8 am?
Thanks.

supafield

Dream Big
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heyo. When I take FL's at my library it can get pretty noisy, so I listen to music to drown out the people around me and focus. I get pretty easily distracted by noise (if it's not music). But, I know I should be mimicking the actual MCAT as well as possible. Would it be better to use Ear Plugs and is listening to music terrible to do? Do they have ear plugs available during the MCAT?

Oh yeah, also, I'm taking my test on may 10th which is a saturday at 8 am, and nothing (including my library, the Kaplan center, and various other places I've checked) opens until noon on saturdays. I could take it at my apartment, but I'm trying to get out of my apartment. Do you guys know of anywhere in the Philadelphia area that has public computers available at 8 am?
Thanks.

I study with music in.... but a lot of people will advocate for taking tests under similar conditions to the real thing. I would find a place a bit quieter and bring ear plugs or something similar to imitate the noise reducing headphones....

MossPoh

Textures intrigue me
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I bought like a mini tub of earplugs. I highly advise not using music. Unless you are listening to classical lightly (which you would still be able to hear other's voices) it is detrimental to learning. I know I know..everybody is the exception to this for some reason, but it is best just to avoid. I find it odd that there isn't ONE place in your entire town that doesn't open at or before 8 a.m. Take a few at your apartment. You can control things there...and find a library where people aren't stupid and know you shouldn't talk.

Vihsadas

No summer
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Thanks.

I'd definitely use the earplugs. The real exam will offer you either earplugs or earmuffs. If I were you I'd try and get used to taking the exams with no music. Good luck!

SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd take the test without anything blocking your hearing. When I took the test we were offered earmuffs, but they didn't work at all. In fact, it made everything worse because they were big, bulky, and made all the noise echo inside the earmuff. What ended up happening is that everyone had to deal with the typing, coughing, etc. You should train for the worst case scenario.

Edit: Also, my testing center wouldn't let me use my own earplugs.