Is Littmann Lightweight stethoscope worth buying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chef

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to buy a stethoscope but I really don't wanna spend too much for it.. I went to an online store and saw Littmann Lightweight for $39 (plus shipping). Is this thing ok or is it a POS that I should avoid? My school recommends one with a true bell. Good thing about this lightweight one is that it is only 25g vs others like littmann cardio 3 which is 78 g. lemme know which cheapest stethoscope will get the job done. thanks for help

Members don't see this ad.

since we are on the topic of littmans

My coworkers gave me a Classic II SE as a parting gift for medical school. Is this a satisfactory scope? Will it be enough for me?

Members don't see this ad :)
i have a classic II, and so far, it has been fine for basic physical diagnosis. When someone says, "that guy has a murmur," I can usually hear it... but I'm only a second year. (We had PD last year though). My ears are not trained enough yet to distinguish the difference btw sound quality in a Classic II SE and a Cardiology III.

I will probably upgrade for residency...

pcl

I'm one of those med students on a budget so I went for the Classic II (in fancy Caribbean Blue :scared: ) and tried it for a week. The sound was dull and the quality was quite poor. I needed a silent room to hear anything. I went in and traded up for the Cardiology III (in Hunter Green, thank God). I am extremely pleased and think it was well worth the upgrade.

Of course, try out various scopes. Go to your bookstore (which will no doubt have some sort of bustle) and listen to your own heart and breath in this environment. Find out what works best for you.