1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Is Littmann Lightweight stethoscope worth buying?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by chef, Sep 11, 2002.

1. chef

chef Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I need to buy a stethoscope but I really don't wanna spend too much for it.. I went to an online store and saw Littmann Lightweight for $39 (plus shipping). Is this thing ok or is it a POS that I should avoid? My school recommends one with a true bell. Good thing about this lightweight one is that it is only 25g vs others like littmann cardio 3 which is 78 g. lemme know which cheapest stethoscope will get the job done. thanks for help

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. imtiaz

imtiaz i cant translate stupid
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  4. phllystyl

7+ Year Member

since we are on the topic of littmans

My coworkers gave me a Classic II SE as a parting gift for medical school. Is this a satisfactory scope? Will it be enough for me?

5. pcl

pcl Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

i have a classic II, and so far, it has been fine for basic physical diagnosis. When someone says, "that guy has a murmur," I can usually hear it... but I'm only a second year. (We had PD last year though). My ears are not trained enough yet to distinguish the difference btw sound quality in a Classic II SE and a Cardiology III.

I will probably upgrade for residency...

pcl

6. kutastha

kutastha 2K Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm one of those med students on a budget so I went for the Classic II (in fancy Caribbean Blue :scared: ) and tried it for a week. The sound was dull and the quality was quite poor. I needed a silent room to hear anything. I went in and traded up for the Cardiology III (in Hunter Green, thank God). I am extremely pleased and think it was well worth the upgrade.

Of course, try out various scopes. Go to your bookstore (which will no doubt have some sort of bustle) and listen to your own heart and breath in this environment. Find out what works best for you.

7. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen
    Gold Donor 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i got a cardio III as a gift. i'm golden :)